iPhone to Captivate roadmap?

Last Updated:

1. Avaren

Avaren New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 2, 2010
    I am coming from an iPhone 3g and purchased a captivate today. I am really happy so far, but there are a few looming shadows that frighten me still.

The first is iTunes. I have a ton of music and podcast subscriptions in iTunes. I HATE the software, so I'm not really looking for some way to let it sync to my phone, but more to replace it with something better. Is there a best program to use, and can I import my iTunes library with it?

The second is the customizability of android. I know you can get custom keyboards, sms apps, media player apps.. etc etc. It is VERY overwhelming. I am a pretty hardcore nerd so with time I will surely find everything I need, but I wish there was a starting point.

Also I know there are some things I can do on this phone that I couldn't with the iPhone, but I don't necessarily know what they are.

I was thinking that if people wanted to help me out, and maybe we could kind of groupthink a roadmap that would help other people who switch from their iLife to Android freedom :]

Thanks in advance.

2. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I think media monkey or double twist can sync your music so you won't have to go to itunes anymore.
  3. Thare187

Thare187 Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    iSyncr also works well. You still use iTunes, but it works well. It's only $2.99.
  4. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    In terms of customizing...I'm also pretty nerdy, and likewise was a bit overwhelmed initially at alllll the options. I jumped in by checking out this thread and then asking lots of questions while I tweaked things on my own, trial by error. I haven't yet bothered with a custom keyboard (I use the Samsung one still).

In terms of iTunes, I don't use it (haven't for years) but I seem to recall some on here saying there was an issue with DRM and that had to be resolved before you could get your playlist set up on the Captivate. I could be mistaken though!
  5. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    If any of your iTunes music is DRM protected it won't play on Android without removing DRM first. Also, AAC files are a pain - their tag format is slightly different from MP3 and Android doesn't like it much. Finally iTunes does some weird things with tags and I had to retag most of my songs. I used MP3tag to retag my files - make sure your album art is embedded as a tag and not a jpg file or you will see it your picture library.

I use mediamonkey to rerip and manage media. I like the Samsung music player but it has one major flaw - it won't use playlists made outside of the player - so if you have lots of music you can't really create separate playlists for different groups of music and syn the playlists.

As for customizing and what Android can or can't do - it depends on your needs. There are some things missing on the captivate in regards to Exchange integration, but if you don't use Exchange, it is pointless to list them all.

I like some of the Touchwiz features, so for me I made a black background and moved my icons and deleted some widgets and changed the number of homescreens and i am happy.