• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone to Evo - help me like it?

beeperdoo

Aug 26, 2010
hello friends! i recently picked up an evo on the sprint 30 day trial (while keeping my at&t plan intact) to see if i'd like the evo better... it's such a sexy little monster.. the voice commands, the sense interface, keyboard, screen, kickstand, crazy customizable apps -- i'm really digging the phone... aside from ONE THING. NOTIFICATIONS.

i've pasted an IM convo for convenience's sake to illustrate my issue with the phone. anyone have suggestions for me to make notifications better?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

[3:27:43 PM]: so i used to think i hated the iphone notification system of pop-ups and how only the latest notification would pop-up for txt and facebook and twitter.. but i'm beginning to like it better than android's!

[3:27:48 PM]: in short, android notifications tell me nothing

[3:28:05 PM]: it's like, i hear the sound i assigned to say, a twitter direct message to me

[3:28:39 PM]: i turn on phone, unlock phone, either pull down menu bar to see it ONLY say "new twitter direct message" -- NO WAY, REALLY?!?!?

[3:28:49 PM]: then click that and it opens the tweetdeck app and THEN i see the message

[3:29:01 PM]: or i can just open the app first off and not see what went on in the app to notify me....

[3:29:34 PM]: i like the way android notifies for email

[3:29:58 PM]: ....it does it the same way iphone does except i also get a mail icon in top menu bar for new messages

[3:30:08 PM]: so i can see from any app that i have new mail

[3:30:59 PM]: but the way it handles facebook and tweetdeck really sucks.. i know tweetdeck is beta, but still.

[3:31:27 PM]: txt messages are great. i see them when i pull down the menu bar... like the beginning of their content.... and they also scroll across the menu bar when i receive them.... instead of a pop-up

[3:31:35 PM]: which is nice and unobtrusive if i'm doing something and someone is rapid firing me with txts

[3:32:00 PM]: but i really dont like the facebook and twitter notifications. telling me in menu bar notification screen that I GOT A NEW FACEBOOK MESSAGE is like wtf?????? ya think??

[3:32:04 PM]: who sent it? what did they say???

[3:32:21 PM]: also the notifications aren't instant.

[3:32:45 PM]: i have it polling twitter every 15 mins and facebook every 15 just to check out the battery life now that i tweaked battery for everything else

[3:32:50 PM]: but on iphone it's very fast

[3:32:56 PM]: esp now that facebook has push

[3:33:28 PM]: i really like this phone, it's amazing and does crazy shit.... but i feel frustrated by the way notifications are implemented.

[3:33:36 PM]: but it's only the 2nd day so maybe i'll figure stuff out.

[3:33:52 PM]: i do feel like the iphone works better out of the box though.. straight up and with no jailbreak

[3:35:48 PM]: as of... right now.... i think i'm getting an iphone 4. we'll see if i change my mind in the next 28 days though.

[3:36:03 PM]: evo isn't doing what i want it to do.

[3:36:17 PM]: it does A LOT more than iphone... it's not even a comparison with what it CAN do.. i mean it's crazy!!!

[3:36:43 PM]: but if it doesn't do the basic things i WANT it to do.. like simple easy notifications... that iphone does with no tweaks necessary.. then what good is it to me

[3:37:19 PM]: main thing i like doing is glancing at my phone when i hear facebook, twitter, or IM message and seeing what someone said to me without having to physically touch the phone

[3:37:39 PM]: i do that all the time when i'm studying or online or whatever.

[3:37:51 PM]: now i think i'm gonna take this transcript and paste it to android forums to see what people suggest hahahaahahaa

e [3:37:57 PM]: they'll prob tell me to gtfo or kill myself

hello friends! i recently picked up an evo on the sprint 30 day trial (while keeping my at&t plan intact) to see if i'd like the evo better... it's such a sexy little monster.. the voice commands, the sense interface, keyboard, screen, kickstand, crazy customizable apps -- i'm really digging the phone... aside from ONE THING. NOTIFICATIONS.

i've pasted an IM convo for convenience's sake to illustrate my issue with the phone. anyone have suggestions for me to make notifications better?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

[3:27:43 PM]: so i used to think i hated the iphone notification system of pop-ups and how only the latest notification would pop-up for txt and facebook and twitter.. but i'm beginning to like it better than android's!

[3:27:48 PM]: in short, android notifications tell me nothing

[3:28:05 PM]: it's like, i hear the sound i assigned to say, a twitter direct message to me

[3:28:39 PM]: i turn on phone, unlock phone, either pull down menu bar to see it ONLY say "new twitter direct message" -- NO WAY, REALLY?!?!?

[3:28:49 PM]: then click that and it opens the tweetdeck app and THEN i see the message

[3:29:01 PM]: or i can just open the app first off and not see what went on in the app to notify me....

[3:29:34 PM]: i like the way android notifies for email

[3:29:58 PM]: ....it does it the same way iphone does except i also get a mail icon in top menu bar for new messages

[3:30:08 PM]: so i can see from any app that i have new mail

[3:30:59 PM]: but the way it handles facebook and tweetdeck really sucks.. i know tweetdeck is beta, but still.

[3:31:27 PM]: txt messages are great. i see them when i pull down the menu bar... like the beginning of their content.... and they also scroll across the menu bar when i receive them.... instead of a pop-up

[3:31:35 PM]: which is nice and unobtrusive if i'm doing something and someone is rapid firing me with txts

[3:32:00 PM]: but i really dont like the facebook and twitter notifications. telling me in menu bar notification screen that I GOT A NEW FACEBOOK MESSAGE is like wtf?????? ya think??

[3:32:04 PM]: who sent it? what did they say???

[3:32:21 PM]: also the notifications aren't instant.

[3:32:45 PM]: i have it polling twitter every 15 mins and facebook every 15 just to check out the battery life now that i tweaked battery for everything else

[3:32:50 PM]: but on iphone it's very fast

[3:32:56 PM]: esp now that facebook has push

[3:33:28 PM]: i really like this phone, it's amazing and does crazy shit.... but i feel frustrated by the way notifications are implemented.

[3:33:36 PM]: but it's only the 2nd day so maybe i'll figure stuff out.

[3:33:52 PM]: i do feel like the iphone works better out of the box though.. straight up and with no jailbreak

[3:35:48 PM]: as of... right now.... i think i'm getting an iphone 4. we'll see if i change my mind in the next 28 days though.

[3:36:03 PM]: evo isn't doing what i want it to do.

[3:36:17 PM]: it does A LOT more than iphone... it's not even a comparison with what it CAN do.. i mean it's crazy!!!

[3:36:43 PM]: but if it doesn't do the basic things i WANT it to do.. like simple easy notifications... that iphone does with no tweaks necessary.. then what good is it to me

[3:37:19 PM]: main thing i like doing is glancing at my phone when i hear facebook, twitter, or IM message and seeing what someone said to me without having to physically touch the phone

[3:37:39 PM]: i do that all the time when i'm studying or online or whatever.

[3:37:51 PM]: now i think i'm gonna take this transcript and paste it to android forums to see what people suggest hahahaahahaa

e [3:37:57 PM]: they'll prob tell me to gtfo or kill myself
I can understand where your coming from. I think FB sucks for Android period. But don't judge the whole entire OS over FB and a Beta app. I don't even use Tweetdeck. it will only notify you if you have the app open. Its worthless rite now.

Upvote 0
Most apps have notification settings that you can adjust to your liking. I tend to turn off notifications for FB and Twitter because it eats up a lot of juice just sitting there retrieving information.

Also, I agree with the person above. Handcent is your best friend. Stock messaging has some new features, but they're things that Handcent has had from the beginning, plus its notification settings are better.

Upvote 0
Also, I agree with the person above. Handcent is your best friend. Stock messaging has some new features, but they're things that Handcent has had from the beginning, plus its notification settings are better.

Agreed. You'll find through more use of the Evo that if there's anything you don't like about the stock functionality, you can replace it with an equivalent app, which most of the time does things much better. This is an advantage of the android community that's hugely absent in iOS because Apple wants total control over how you use your device.

A common replacement for people is the keyboard. There are several excellent keyboards that blow away the stock keyboard.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Agreed. You'll find through more use of the Evo that if there's anything you don't like about the stock functionality, you can replace it with an equivalent app, which most of the time does things much better.

Since I'm also newish to Android, can you explain how a new messaging program like Handcent works to replace the stock app? Am I going to be getting duplicates (and duplicate notifications) of every SMS/MMS?

Upvote 0
Can you make your Iphone screen look like this? No? Didn't think so.

41340160246438070112088.jpg

Widgets too? Evo will take care of that too

Upvote 0
Is that your lock screen or just a home screen without any widgets/apps?

If it's just a home screen, you can pretty much do the same thing with a jailbroken iPhone.

ahhhh yes...but evo can do it on the lockscreen ....or home screens...all without jailbreak/root....

The most frustrating thing I have seen with iphone to android converts is customization overload....

there are sooooooo many options that they are not used to

Upvote 0
thanks for the responses everyone. i set up some cool customizations and i'm digging the phone now.

the main problem i'm having with the phone now is battery life. i found out that i don't get sprint service at my house (no idea why, i live in a very metro area), so the phone has to roam on verizon. my "time without a signal" is like 85%... and the phone goes dead after about 6 hours of just sitting there asleep.

any advice? if i don't figure something out, the evo will have to go back. at least with the iphone, i got full bar service at my house and "good" battery life.. i have to be able to receive calls at home, so please don't tell me to turn off roaming. i don't have a landline and it's absolutely imperative that people can reliably reach me at all times.

Upvote 0
thanks for the responses everyone. i set up some cool customizations and i'm digging the phone now.

the main problem i'm having with the phone now is battery life. i found out that i don't get sprint service at my house (no idea why, i live in a very metro area), so the phone has to roam on verizon. my "time without a signal" is like 85%... and the phone goes dead after about 6 hours of just sitting there asleep.

any advice? if i don't figure something out, the evo will have to go back. at least with the iphone, i got full bar service at my house and "good" battery life.. i have to be able to receive calls at home, so please don't tell me to turn off roaming. i don't have a landline and it's absolutely imperative that people can reliably reach me at all times.

Take the EVO back and stick with your iphone

Upvote 0
I just put a Sprint Airave in my home. 100% signal strength, 100% of the time.

$100 to buy it plus an extra $5 a month just to make your phone work? They should offer it for free if they want to keep their customers. I had problems with AT&T service at home, which is one of two main reasons why I left the iPhone for the EVO in the first place.

Reactions: MonkeyBoy2000
Upvote 0
OP,

I couldn't agree with you more about notifications. You're coming from an iPhone and you think it's bad? I'm coming from a Blackberry (BB loyal for the past 3 years) which is as "instant" as any phone could get with it's notifications, push email, ability to type "instantly" on a qwerty keyboard, etc....but I've learned to cope and compromise with the Android OS a lot better the past 6 days I've had my EVO. Android is truly nuts; such a rich OS with the almost infinite possibilities, but it does need to be a bit more refined overall (time and updates will take care of this).

As for your reception issue, try calling Sprint to find out about future cell towers in your area (I live in Sacramento and 4G is coming here just around the corner in Oct!!), or if they can knock off some $$$ for having almost no reception at your own home.

Upvote 0
OP,

I couldn't agree with you more about notifications. You're coming from an iPhone and you think it's bad? I'm coming from a Blackberry (BB loyal for the past 3 years) which is as "instant" as any phone could get with it's notifications, push email, ability to type "instantly" on a qwerty keyboard, etc....but I've learned to cope and compromise with the Android OS a lot better the past 6 days I've had my EVO. Android is truly nuts; such a rich OS with the almost infinite possibilities, but it does need to be a bit more refined overall (time and updates will take care of this).

As for your reception issue, try calling Sprint to find out about future cell towers in your area (I live in Sacramento and 4G is coming here just around the corner in Oct!!), or if they can knock off some $$$ for having almost no reception at your own home.
\

i ended up trying out handcent to fix the notification issue with txt messages. it's pretty fantastic, and now i get a pop-up that wakes up the screen and displays the actual txt message. very handy, just what i wanted.

as for the signal issue, i changed the preferred roaming list settings so now my phone just stays on verizon 100% of the time and doesn't bother looking for a sprint signal. lol. it roams for free on verizon, so why not....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones