Iphone to Verizon...official???

Last Updated:

1. dokedoke

dokedoke Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. dudeman135

dudeman135 Member

Officially the latest rumor, yep! ;) I'm hoping it's true, since the wife and I decided to hold off until Xmas time on upgrading...It would be great to be able to choose from the latest Android available then, I'm sure with even more processing power, perhaps better screen resolution and front facing camera, in addition to the iPhone. Who knows, by then maybe they'll all be running on Verizon's new network as well. Crazy how fast things are changing in the cell phone market right now.

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I will believe it when I see it and not before.

4. vandyblackandgold

vandyblackandgold Well-Known Member

5. jsstritz

jsstritz Active Member

6. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

Yeah, and Larry Page and Sergey Brin are giving me $5 billion in Google stock in a few months.

I will only believe it when I walk out with a CDMA iPhone out of a Verizon store. I don't care if people post pics, it gets lost in a bar, if Steve Jobs himself makes an announcement. I don't care who the news source reporting it is.

7. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

I don't think Verizon wants the iPhone and all the Apple baggage they would have to deal with. If they stick to Android phones, they have much more control over the hardware and software. Plus they have at least 3 new droid phones coming out.(?) That would be a crowded lineup.

8. jimczyz

jimczyz Well-Known Member

Looks like it is official now, Fox News just reported that they will start selling it in Jan 2011.

9. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Still don't believe it.:p

10. scvcpa

scvcpa Member

Who cares? I'm happy with Android!

11. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I don't really know about that. Apple needs a new carrier. ATT is getting blasted by all their users. People hate it. The network is suffering. However I'm not sure that Verizon really needs the iPhone with them pushing their Android offerings so heavily. They could position themselves as the unofficial "official" home of the Droid. The iPhone is going to cannibalize their Android sales, but eating your young can make a lot of sense in the business world.

12. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? iPhone is like the most carrier-friendly phone on the market! No free tethering, no free GPS, no Google Voice app. AND IT IS SUPER POPULAR! All the teenage gurls want one!

13. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

I thought AT&T had an exclusive contract till 2012? Wouldn't make more sense to put it on T-Mobile where they don't have to change the entire radio to make it work with the new network?

14. Rimzy

Rimzy Well-Known Member

Really, i thought the whole point of Verizon's meeting this past weekend was to confirm that they were not getting an iphone and start their "rule the air" campaign, plus i think Verizon is doing just fine with android. Droid, Droid Incredible, Droid X,Droid 2, Samsung Fascinate. I think all these phones provide a variety of options for verizon's customers.

15. Sheba611

Sheba611 Well-Known Member

Well it must be true if Faux News is reporting it! ;)

16. jimczyz

jimczyz Well-Known Member

Much more believable than the lamestream news.

17. vandyblackandgold

verizon has always wanted the iphone. you gotta remember, bad news always travels faster and further than good news. so while the current antenna issue is larger than a handful of people, it doesnt touch the almost 2 million phones in use now. problems or no, adding the iphone to the lineup (which will happen at some point) will increase their hold as the no. 1 carrier in the states. big business. make yourself no. 1 and stay that way.

i think its interesting you brought up. i first saw the deal from bloomsberg yesterday morning via BGR. i watched the chatter and then i saw another report hit yesterday afternoon.

Verizon to launch LTE network on November 15th, handsets on Black Friday Boy Genius Report

now.....

IF (thats a pretty big if) it happened to be an LTE-compatible phone, it wouldn't really matter because all the major carriers are using LTE which means verizon will now be in the mix with phones being able to swap sim cards according to carrier.

18. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

It would require some changes to the radio since AT&T and T-Mobile use different bands for 3G.

19. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

I've got an iTouch and Droid (rooted). Strip away all the iPhone hype and the rooted Droid is the better phone. I want a desktop with widgets, not a mass of icons.

Sincerely,

Your impartial Droid nutcase. :)

ballisticn8 likes this.
  20. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

Moved to the Lounge as this has nothing to do with Android.

21. byteware

byteware Well-Known Member

I don't think that Verizon is willing to pay kickbacks to Apple. I think that was what sent Apple to AT&T in the first place.

I also don't think Steve Jobs wants the iPhone on Verizon after the slew of attack adds that Verizon has put out that basically brought the Android family of phones into real competition with the iPhone.

I think that Steve Jobs will try to keep the iPhone off of Verizon for as long as possible.

22. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Hardly. From what I've learned, many news companies have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to the tech world. Plus, its only a rumor, so I won't believe it until I see it on Verizon Store shelves.

23. vandyblackandgold

how is that any different than the ad campaigns where microsoft and apple slam each other but office is still available for mac and itunes still works on windows?

you go where the business is. as soon as its kosher for apple to do it, whether that be contract issues, manufacturing costs or whatever, you better believe the iphone will be on multiple carriers on day one.

24. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

This news is so massive I feel compelled to rush out and not buy an iPhone.

25. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Question is would Verizon still continue to push Android as hard as they have been if true? AT&T has the iPhone, they promised 5 Android devices before the 2H of 2010 (about 3.5 hours away). They currently have 2 (neither compares to any Verizon Android device) with 2 announced.

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk