iPhone user wanting to switch to Android. But which one?

1. ArcaneGamer92

ArcaneGamer92 New Member

Hello forum! :wavey:

I am a current iPhone 4 user looking to upgrade to an Android. I'm simply fed up with Apple for many reasons, I'm sure most of you know them. Among my particular complaints; small screen, no customization, and lackluster Google services integration. I am an AT&T customer in the USA. My budget is $400, although my 2-year contract is up, so applicable discounts are available.

Screen size, screen quality, 720p HD, and very high brightness is crucially important. Watching YouTube, browsing the web and even playing games on my iPhone is a terrible experience because of the size and resolution, despite the quality of the screen. If I can find something that makes these things enjoyable on a phone, I will be a very happy person. I cannot emphasize the importance of the screen enough, it is the most significant thing on any spec sheet to me. Of course, some great performance so I can play all the latest games and future-proof is secondarily salient. I'm not too worried about software, as long as I can load other less-bloated, nicer-looking ROMs onto it, it won't be a problem. LTE, though not essential by any means, would be convenient as I am covered well where I live. Either good internal storage (~32GB+) or a MicroSD card slot would fulfill my needs there. I do really like the design of the iPhone 5, it's way down the list obviously but some nice aesthetics and ergonomics would be sweet. I'm not sure if I have an outstanding need for battery life -- If it's decent, I'll be happy, and if it's great, I'm ecstatic.

I did consider the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10, though I would rather concatenate my tablet and phone into 1 device. Still, I am very much open to advice.

Thanks. :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I mean i would suggest looking into the Galaxy S3, everyone seems to like it and it basically covers everything you are looking for :)

Either or you could look into the Note 2, it's kind of half tab half phone, pretty awesome!
  3. B2L

B2L Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be the Galaxy Note 2, especially if you would like to combine tablet+phone. It has pretty much everything you're looking for.
  4. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

The Samsung Galaxy S3 has a 32 GB model. They also have an SD card slot to increase the storage on them.

Regarding the screen brightness, the SGS3 at 100% brightness is roughly equivalent to an iPhone 5 at 50% brightness. I think the iPhone 4 is roughtly the same. I'm not sure how bright you normally set your phone to or what environment you normally use it in. I find that I don't have a problem with the brightness on my SGS3 most of the time. If you are outside on a bright sunny day, the SGS3 screen may be a little difficult to see. You may want to go to a store to check the brightness to see if you find it OK for your needs. I'm sure someone can load up a video for you.

The Note II is also another option. I'm not familiar with it though.
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The galaxy s3, HTC one x or the note 2 sounds like they are all right up your alley
  6. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

I'd go with the HTC One X (or One X+), SIII or if you want even larger then the Note 2.

Personally I've not seen great reviews about the SIII's display, especially when playing movies and it seems to handle the black gradient pretty badly.

The Note 2 excels in this area for me but I don't know if it would be too big for you. Personally I think the HTC One X has the best screen on the market (not just saying that cause I have one) but in my own opinion I think it's better than what's out there.

Also, if you're looking for a nice ROM then Sense on HTC phones in my opinion is the closest you'll get to something and eye appealing to the iPhone look, in terms of UI and you'll be able to get a ROM that has the best bits of Sense and stripped out the bloatware.

Any of these phones would suit you though.

Also, the Nexus 7 and 10 are both tablets ;) The Nexus 4 is the phone, although this only goes up to 16gb with no additional storage so I don't think this would be big enough for you.
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Tablet and phone into one device? Get a Note II.
  8. daevyd

daevyd New Member

Phone + Tablet = Phablet = Note II.

Lots of screen real-estate, but a bit large for some. It all boils down to personal preference. I thought a Note II would be ideal for me, but now I'm wondering if I should have gotten the smaller SIII instead. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my Note II.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Why do you want to combine your tablet and phone in one device? IMO - if you are going to use it to watch movies, nothing beats a bigger screen. If you want to read webpages and magazines without constantly zooming in and out, you need a tablet sized screen. Even a Galaxy Note 2 is not quite big enough to read text without squinting. Depends on how good your eyes are, though :)

I can see why people like the GN2, but for me I would rather carry a phone and a tablet, because I use them for different things and don't see the attraction of carrying a phone that creates a huge bulge in my pocket with a screen which is still not as good as a tablet.

Don't forget you can tether your tablet to your phone, and Android tablets are ridiculously cheap.
    Rxpert83 likes this.