iPhone vs Android MMS

Last Updated:

1. zerojjc

zerojjc Member

This is what an iphone fan told me and i wanted to know if, or how much of this is true?
    " Android phones (and iPhones/iPads that haven't updated in the last 2 years) send/receive picture messages at very low resolution using MMS, and iPhones and iPads have to send in low-res MMS when they send to Android phones as well. When they talk to each other, iPhones and iPads use Apple's iMessage service, so the messages are encrypted AND pictures can be sent at full size, in high resolution."
    From my understanding, its up to the cell phone service provider (vzw, att, etc) how large a mms can be, not necessarily the device, right?

Advertisement
  2. trippin

trippin Well-Known Member

Not knowing much about iphones myself I would assume if it's going through a service called iMessage then it would be using data and not a mms. Thus allowing for larger and probably faster messaging.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

iMessage picture messages doesn't go through the network MMS, it goes through its own data link like a Facebook chat. You can get around this on Android if you use Go SMS Pro or Handcent AFAIK, since both services have online iMessage equivalents, Go Chat for Go SMS for example.
  4. zerojjc

zerojjc Member

That makes sense. And i've used both sms pro and handcent, just didn't think about it that way.
  5. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Some stock messaging apps in android place a cap on MMS images. Hence a lot of custom roms include a mod to increase the size to 5M. I see this a lot on Sense roms.

As styated above, 3rd party apps pretty much solve this pretty easily. :)