• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone vs android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallandof

Android Expert
Jul 8, 2010
south of boston
plus.google.com
before any one starts to flame. I am looking for as much unbiased opinions on positives for each operating system, nothing negative about either. If there is any sign of flamming trolling etc ill get it closed.

I am putting together a chart for the people I work with to help them better qualify the customers on what will be our 2 best selling choices at verizon.

so far for the iPhone I have:

its appstore
ease of use(slightly objective, but dumb people pick it up better)
syncing with computer
reliability
you know what you get
reliable updates
accesories
no rebate
apple cust support.

for the droid i have for benefits:
Google maps/navigations
customisability
variety
hardware specs
video chat over cell network
web speeds
open source
cheaper options
removable batt and memory
google sync
4g availability.

Again, and I cant stress this enough. I am not looking for any negatives about either. I dont care that apple is locked down, or android is fragmented, that doesnt help my co workers understand the BENEFITS.

You covered quite a bit already. Here's what else I got.

For Android:

Large selection of devices available.
Less restrictions on apps that are available.
Multi-tasking.
Widgets.
Standard connectors.

For iOS:

Brand name recognition.
More fashionable.
Smaller learning curve.
Larger selection of apps.
Specific devices available on all major carriers (in Canada).

Upvote 0
My Ipod touch which is basically an iphone without the phone part of it. I felt limited on what I could do with it compared to my droid. Both has their limitation. It come down to your paying for the name of apple and being told my Jobs what you are allowed to do or not to do with your well their products.

If you want an Iphone just to have one then by all means get one. But I dont see anything good iphone can bring as its governed. I will keep my android and google maps/ navigation. Not pay extra for gps service like you will with the iphone. .

Upvote 0
Apple:
Aftermarket accessories (docks, stuff like that)
Simple to use

Android:
Customization
Variety of hardware

As for the app store differences, they are both good. I haven't really found anything that I could do or get for my iPhone 3Gs that I haven't been able to do or get with my Droid X. The Apple Store may have more apps, but I feel they are fairly equal.

For screens, going to have to say equal again. Including the Retina display of the iPhone4. It's higher resolution is kind of lost to the smaller screen size compared to my Droid X in my opinion. And comparing the iP4 to the Droid Incredible, since they have similar screen sizes, the AMOLED screen on the older DInc (newer ones have LCDs) is bright and vibrant, although it can be prone to burn-in.

Upvote 0
May I critique your idea a bit? Not posting anything negative about either isn't going to give you a true look at what the OS's can and cannot do. I have used both now extensively, and have negative things to say about both.

FWIW on your original list, iOS has Google maps, just not a turn by turn navigation. It does have paid app options (Navigon is amazing) that stores all the data for navigation on your phone so that even places with spotty reception will provide you with the maps as you drive through them (I know there are some on Android too, but they are nowhere near as good as Navigon - well, the stock navigation App is good most of the time, when you have signal)

Upvote 0
That should actually be for the iPhone as it's limited to wifi. Android can video chat over the 3g/4g

iOS can Skype video chat over 3G as well now.

For iOS I would also say there are far more decent games.
iPhone 4 currently has the highest resolution display and is the thinnest of the smartphones

For Android I would add that you get to choose your carrier... they all have SOME amount of Android devices.
Also the use of a standard(micro USB on newer phones, mini on some older ones)
Android allows you to install keyboards (I know this is sort of customization, but I think lumping customization into one word doesn't give Android it's due justice).

Upvote 0
I take it you don;t game much?

I thought I did, I have lots of games installed. Only games I had on my 3Gs that aren't as good for Android are pinball games, there are some really good ones for iOS. Otherwise, I don't see what people complain about when comparing Android to iOS gaming, I have all the games I want to play on it.

Upvote 0
its appstore

I feel like this is a bit moot... iphone has "app store" android has "market".. its not like one has a serious advantage over the other..

syncing with computer
reliability
Reliable in what way? I mean.. using my moms iphone vs my captivate I don't feel like one is more likely to go out on me than the other..

you know what you get

Do you? "ease of use" is subjective yes..

But, I wonder how many people out there get iphone now days thinking they will be happy with it.. but, end up annoyed because it feels limited.

I am not even trying to say it is limited.. But, using my moms.. I feel bored.. literally.. its dull.. even with a custom background, I feel like its soooo... well... limited.

I think there is a lot of room for people to get it and be unhappy with it..

Just because you "know" what your getting doesn't mean you really think about the full ramifications of your actions until its too late :/
reliable updates
accesories
no rebate

How is no rebates an advantage? it means you don't get money back...

When we got my captivate there were no rebates.. it still only cost 200$ since it wasn't a primary line upgrade.
apple cust support.

I think apple customer support is a bit subjective.. there are mixed reports about this going both ways.... ranging from great to well.. total crap.

for the droid i have for benefits:
Google maps/navigations
customisability
variety
hardware specs
This may just be me personally

but, I don't believe a phone should ever be sold on hardware specs.. look at the galaxy s series and how poorly that turned out, for those who are on captivate but, refuse to root...

video chat over cell network
web speeds
aren't web speeds a bit..sporadic and based on coverage and provider not to mention network load? I am not saying it is an all around moot point.. but, I'll not see 4G for a very long time.. so everything around here is 3G.. Coverage is going to vary with any provider and quality of service is gunna differ drastically..

I don't think its a real tangible result.

open source
If someone needs an explaination of the differences of apple and android

are they really going to understand what open source means to begin with?

cheaper options
Isn't cheaper options a moot point if they are considering an iphone to begin with? I mean if they are looking for just a general smartphone, its one thing to steer them towards android.. but, if they were already considering an iphone..

Perhaps it would be better phrased as "prices not set in stone" or something.. You can get a captivate for like 50$ or free on the primary line.. but, iphone is usually 99$ for lower end 199$ for higher end and then 299$ for higher end with more memory..

It really never fluctuates in price much.. but, androids all jump around.

removable batt and memory
google sync
4g availability.

4G is still gunna be sporadic and unpredictable.

Upvote 0
As someone else mentioned ipod touch, I find the wi fi more reliable than my Samsung Android phone which keeps dropping no matter what apps I've downloaded to keep connected none seem to work 100%, still have to keep resetting the modem. Apple OS more easier to get round looks neater. Keypad on the iphone easier to use and see including Gingerbread keypad. Expandable memory on Android phones a big plus iphones OK 16-32gb but 8gb soon fills up. More choice of Android phones at cheaper prices starting at

Upvote 0
May I critique your idea a bit? Not posting anything negative about either isn't going to give you a true look at what the OS's can and cannot do. I have used both now extensively, and have negative things to say about both.

FWIW on your original list, iOS has Google maps, just not a turn by turn navigation. It does have paid app options (Navigon is amazing) that stores all the data for navigation on your phone so that even places with spotty reception will provide you with the maps as you drive through them (I know there are some on Android too, but they are nowhere near as good as Navigon - well, the stock navigation App is good most of the time, when you have signal)

Just a P.S. - Navgon is available for Andoid direct from them. I have it running on my Desre - great!!!:D

Upvote 0
My 2 cents (for the average consumer)

Iphone
-no variables, that is, what you see is what you get

Android
- choices, that is, what size screen... Trackball... Physical keys...etc

Truly a benefit to both cases IMO. :)

I'd type more, but typing that much from either phone can be a bit tedious ;)

Upvote 0
I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one.

iPhone: Has the most intuitive consistent UI of any smartphone, their market enforces UI consistency.

Android: Most apps are consistent, some aren't, Touchdown being one of the worst offenders.

With Android you get to choose how your phone works for the most part. Most apps are replaceable. iPhone limits what you can change, but enforces a consistent UI for every app in the market.

If you like customization and features, go Android. If you like simplicity and consistency, go iPhone.

-Mike

Upvote 0
It's a no contest for me.

An iPhone(or any iDevice) must have an iTunes account with a valid credit card, even if I never intend to buy any apps or games....so that's the end of that. Android phones have no credit card requirements for the Market. Also the iPhone uses a non-standard sized SIM.

Android wins easily here.

that credit card bit was useful I had no clue. ill definately have to let the people I work with know that.

Upvote 0
that credit card bit was useful I had no clue. ill definately have to let the people I work with know that.

I ran into this 'issue' when I borrowed an iPad last year for a few days, to see what it was actually like for myself. When I tried to setup an iTunes account, it was asking for a Visa, Mastercard or Amex card number, even though I was only going to download some free apps and games to try on the iPad.

I have a UnionPay ATM/debit card from a Chinese bank, there is no option to use this with iTunes.

EDIT:

It seems I'm not the only person who's had this problem with iTunes and iDevices.
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276646
"It's difficult to get a visa mastercard or amex in china. Most people have china unionpay debit cards. visa or mastercards are only available as credit cards and you have to own property or deposit 45K USD to get one of those." ....ouch!!

...maybe Apple is thinking, If one is rich enough to own one of their devices in China, one is rich enough to have a western credit card?

Upvote 0
I've owned an ipod touch, and I'd say the biggest advantage it has is the smooth UI and better keyboard. These two things are the how one interacts with all other features and therefore are important on a fundamental level.

I still prefer Android, but unless you're picky about phone capabilities this will often decide for the user which to choose.

P.S. Android's wider variety of phones isn't a feature. It shouldn't be on the list since once you've chosen a handset it hardly matters. For example I can't say my Vibrant is better because it comes in all shapes and sizes. It doesn't! though that would be a cool app (transphoner ;)

Upvote 0
P.S. Android's wider variety of phones isn't a feature. It shouldn't be on the list since once you've chosen a handset it hardly matters. For example I can't say my Vibrant is better because it comes in all shapes and sizes. It doesn't! though that would be a cool app (transphoner ;)

It is a feature because when it comes to choosing a phone, I either choose one (current) iOS phone or from a variety of Android phones. One reason I chose the Desire Z over the iPhone is that the Desire Z has a physical keyboard which I wanted and does not have a secondary camera which I did not want and did not want to pay for. Because there is a wider variety of Android phones, I was able to find one that suited me more so than the iPhone. I would say that lack of a secondary camera is a feature for me.

Upvote 0
It is a feature because when it comes to choosing a phone, I either choose one (current) iOS phone or from a variety of Android phones. One reason I chose the Desire Z over the iPhone is that the Desire Z has a physical keyboard which I wanted and does not have a secondary camera which I did not want and did not want to pay for. Because there is a wider variety of Android phones, I was able to find one that suited me more so than the iPhone. I would say that lack of a secondary camera is a feature for me.

Yes, you chose the Desire Z over the iPhone because of the keyboard and not because Android has more variety of phones.

What you're really saying then is "Should I get an iPhone, or this android phone, or this android phone, or this android phone. And which among these has the features that best suit me?"

One often forgets it's not iPhone vs. Android. It's iPhone vs. Android vs. Android vs. Android...

If you choose Android over the iPhone you still haven't chosen a phone. Not by a long shot. So the question still remains, what "features" are you looking for??

Upvote 0
I've been thinking about this too, and decided to stay with Android.

The iPhone has a great flat UI and features but it's very limited on what it can do.

With Android you can pretty much do whatever you want to your phone. Google can care less about this, which actually turned out to work in our favor. You can do more on a rooted Android phone can you can on a jailbroken iPhone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones