• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone vs Desire comparisons... always the same!

It seems most gadget / tech mags have a new smartphone vs smartphone feature every month and I always have a read up on them when I see them on the cover.

I was flicking through a mag today (forget which one) in Tesco after seeing a Desire Vs iPhone feature.

And what a surprise, despite both gaining the same score and an equal footing in the pros and cons, the iPhone was declared the winner. And it's like this in virtually every magazine I've read with an article like this!

There is some serious Apple bias in these mags and as a lot of people rely on them to make decisions about what tech and gadgets to buy, is it any wonder the iphone is such a giant in the world of smart phones? It's annoying that the iPhone isn't any better (and some cases much worse) than other phones out on the market today, yet seemingly, just because it's an iphone, it trumps them all according to most of the respected tech and gadget publications.

Very annoying!

Not surprising, for the majority of average users, the Iphone is simple and usable straight out of the box. There are only really a few versions of the Iphone available, but many different Android phones about. As Google are rapidly increasing their market share, I think the pendulum will have to start swinging Android's way sooner or later. Some tech writers obviously favour Android too. All you need to do is read some Engadget articles.

Reactions: Yathushan
Upvote 0
Thought most people bought a smart phone to increase productivity but apparently not, most people buy smart phones because they are simpletons - aka isheep users.

Fed up of the its easy to use argument. Like the desire is so difficult only a nassa scientist can control it.

Iphone = simple, android = adult

I want a phone that's great on the internet, oh that would be desire. I want a phone where I can make calls and use blue tooth, again desire. I want a phone where I can read text where I don't have to scroll from left to right, unless I'm mistaken that be desire again. I want a phone where I control its looks and don't have to hunt through a million little square boxes, desire I think.

I want a phone where its not costing me money all the time to download.

Upvote 0
it's not that surprising to see these mags / sites choose the iPhone.

Apple caters for "joe public". the iPhone works straight out of the box and that's what will appeal to the masses.

sure, we know the Desire can do more (and allow more) but customising and rooting is just not that interesting for most people.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Having used i products (friends and families) I personally would never spend any money on them. The minimalist approach for me leaves it wanting, so much screen space is wasted on options that on the android platform is hidden with the simple menu button... Because of this they might as well call it a 3" screen because .5" is always wasted.

Apps, there are good ones on each one... Other than some games there is nothing on the apple IOS that I cant do on Android.

Hardware, the iphone looks nice, so good for the vein, screen looks nice but is too small (certainly with the above mentioned) and even though people rave about the resolution, your hard pushed to see the benfit unlike what others say, that is unless you look at it from 5cm away... The OS on the iphone is dull and uninspiring and the fact that Apple are the arse holes of computing (more than overtaken MS) id rather not waste money on them.

I have a Desire. My friend has the iPhone4.

The iPhone4 is much better.

Go on then explain... Is it PEBSAC?

Upvote 0
Never bought into their hype and never will!!

I often get asked by iSheep if my phone is some strange prototype as they aren't common here in Germany yet! :)

One thing that does piss me off though is the fact that CNN runs at least one Apple story a day!! :mad: it is living up to its new name of "Certainly Not News"!! (maybe Apple owns stock...)

At the end of the day, I'm a very happy camper with my Desire, even though I still miss my Blackberry from time to time!

Upvote 0
BBC are the same Lecter, not so long ago the top 10 news stories had 4 Apple related stories... Thing is they are always adverts for the latest products with little emphasis on the issues (e.g. the iphone 4 mess up) and always saying "WOW the latest and best from apple". They mention anything Google and they always have a go at it... Sad tbh.

One other thing, my friend bought a 3GS the other day. I asked why and she said "because its the best", I asked her why and she said because "It can do things yours cant" I asked "whats that?" Cant remember what she answered but it was something like "because it can go on the internet"... I mean common, its just that people really don't have a clue tbh, I know many people that don't use smart phones like smart phones!

Upvote 0
my mate was simply amazed that my desire could do simple things like wireless hotspot out of the box without rooting or jailbreak.
just to prove a point he connected to my desire via wifi and used my net to browse.
We lolled when we spoofed the office hotspot SID name and started dropping mac addresses watching the faces as their thought the internet was down :p
he was impressed and he is an I-Fan
Even he admitted that there is not much between them and the desire seems to be more powerful and customisable.

The only major things is the 720p recording quality and the HDR photos. you cant really match them. the custom 2.2 roms seem to be an improvement on 720p recording but its not as clear.
HDR doesnt exist on android

other than those 2 things the desire is better and tbh i dont use camera and video too much

Upvote 0
What I find funny is that everyone raves about how easy the iphone ui is?

I bought an ipad for my mum and found it nothing but a pain to set up, itunes store linking to computer is a real pain and a faf to use. My mums ipad broke after a month of use and because we had not recently sinked with computer, a couple of app purchases were lost when we got a new one.

Android has seemed very stable in comparison to me, easy to use and can be used brilliantly as a stand alone device.

Just don't get iphone appeal after these new android phones like desire.

I have not put my desire down in three months of owning. Iphone bores me after 20 minutes of play.

Still I hope people will still buy into I brand as it will keep android devices competitive price wise.

Upvote 0
The Gedget Show "As sponsored by Apple" ... when did you ever see TGS and them not rave about Apple products, even when better, cheaper products are available?

Every 3 months the BBC rolls out their "Technological Guru" Stephen Fry to rave about Apple products on the News (BBC News FFS!). Stephen Fry might be a very funny and intelligent man that drives a London Cab and uses Twitter. A Lot. But that does NOT make him a tech genius whose tech knowledge we should respect. If using Twitter makes him a gadget guru, does the fact I can make a sandwich make me an expert chef?!

However, there is no denying that Apple has done a fantastic job in making their products easy to use and highly desireable to the masses. I am sitting here with my (replacement) HTC Desire on my desk not daring to charge it and use it at the same time in case it overheats / reboots as descirbed in this thread. Sitting next to it is my 64gb WiFi iPad that has never crashed, never failed and simply 'works', albeit in a locked down / restricted way.

So I understand why Apple win these contests but I do hope that Google / HTC / Sony / Samsung etc pull their fingers out and create Android phones that are as reliable and desirable as those made by Apple. Because of the problems I have experienced with my Desire, I would have to say that the iPhone is still the better all-round phone.

Upvote 0
However, there is no denying that Apple has done a fantastic job in making their products easy to use and highly desireable to the masses. I am sitting here with my (replacement) HTC Desire on my desk not daring to charge it and use it at the same time in case it overheats / reboots as descirbed in this thread. Sitting next to it is my 64gb WiFi iPad that has never crashed, never failed and simply 'works', albeit in a locked down / restricted way.

Hmmm. Guess thats why there is a law suit against apple for the iPad overheating?

All electronics can have heat issues...

Upvote 0
Status has a lot to do with the iPhone success, generally Apple products are expensive and that carries an image; think of luxury cars - Lexus, BMW, Mercedes; they're just cars but they have an image that infers something about the status and wealth of the owner.

Consumers see that with Apple products, so they pay the extra to buy into the "image".

I think a survey from the States showed that the typical Apple consumer has a higher than average wage.

Add to that, the fact is that iTunes offer content that you don't get anywhere else. Can I buy tv progs and films for my Android at a couple of quid a go? No, but I wish I could! Why should I have to faff about converting video from other sources to do something an iPhone user can do with no fuss at all.

Apple has a lot going for it and they market their products brilliantly.

That said, I've no interest in them as I don't like the idea of being tied to their proprietary formats; once you go Apple it's hard to leave if you've bought loads of content.

Hopefully the reviews and media coverage Android devices are getting will raise awareness that there is an alternative!

Upvote 0
Urgh... yeah, I think I read the same article you're on about. iPhone 4 vs the Android Army.

Tested the iPhone against the Desire, X10, Streak (and some others I think but can't remember)

Anyway the article said stuff like oh yeah the Desire beats the iPhone at this, this and this but then at the end just kinda said, yeah but the iPhone is better.

Hmmm, bit bias if you ask me.

Upvote 0
lol, great app by the way.

What does your mate make of the desire, everyone I have shown it to prefers the desire.

Before he got the iphone he tested the desire and had it a few days before returning it, saying he didnt like it...(???) TBH I think he wanted the iphone in the first place but decided to give Android a go first.

I think he falls into the category written above (by partridge) even though he's not on in a particularly great wage himself, and he's a bit of a "ten bob billionnaire".

Its like when you are on facebook, and people update their status telling everyone else they have a new iphone. You don't get that with Android users.... I think Android is an exclusive club, where we as members don't feel the need to brag about what phone we have, as we all know ours pi55 all over apples products. Eventually, people will see the light and then we can turn round and say "Android? Yeah I've been using android phones for ages mate, where have you been????"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones