iPlayer on Desire - Radio 3

Last Updated:

1. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have tried to get BBC Radio 3 listen now iplayer to work on my Desire.

I regularly use iplayer on my Windows PC; I am UK based

On the Desire I go > Home > Internet > bookmarks > BBC - BBC Radio 3 Programmes - Schedule, Thursday 10 June 2010

But when I press the "Listen Live" button, as I do on my PC, I am told that I can only have one pop up open at one time; message "Pop-up already open"

I have just switched my Desire on so no other web page is open.

Any advice please?

Advertisement
  2. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

Currently the iPlayer isn't supported by the Desire, it will be once Android 2.2 is released which could well be by the end of this month.

there was an App called Beeb Player that did that job but the developer has recently pulled it and no longer supports it.

I find it a bit odd really when the embedded video links on the BBC website work perfectly well..?!

3. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

or you just need to wait for some more time untill Froyo (2.2) comes out on desire with full flash 10 support which should definitelly be able to handle such flash content :)

4. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

5. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the answers.

I did try the iplayer and Radio 3 website. The iplayer only allow Radio 1!!! Could not get Radio 3 via streaming.

BBC beta app will hopefully eventually supply my need; good job Desire has working FM radio.

6. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member

beebplayer works for listen again with iplayer, but not for live streams. I suspect if we had access to the code, the fix would be relatively simple.

7. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

8. galfwender

galfwender Active Member

RadioTime from the market works for BBC radio.

9. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

Yea I tried it after I posted.I was reading the help section and it says,

"BBC LiveTV/Radio works on a range of WiFi-enabled handsets including most WiFi-enabled HTC, Motorola, Samsung and Sony Ericsson handsets. It

10. galfwender

galfwender Active Member

Radio 5 worked fine via the BBC's website on my Desire using Dolphin HD browser.

Note that the Which article was written in 2009 so obviously it won't list the Desire specifically, but it does mention one Android handset, and also says it will work with any phone using Opera browser.

If I visit the bbc mobile video page, I get a message saying it is only available over WiFi (which I am using). This is also the case if I use Opera Mini browser. Perhaps we need to fiddle with the user agent settings?

EDIT: With "Mobile View" enabled in Opera it will bring up the channel list, but complains "cannot be used outside the UK" because Opera routes stuff through its compression servers I guess. Also tried telling Dolphin HD to use "iPhone" as it's user-agent. This brought up the channel list, but it won't launch the video because it doesn't believe it's over wifi.