iplayer site using froyo

Last Updated:

1. Lagerfiend

Lagerfiend Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all I can happily view stuff on the BBC site now thanks to froyo, yey!

Thing is I can't seek or skip forward using the thin pink scroll bar at the bottom of what I'm watching...

Is it just me? Am I missing something?

Please give it a try and let me know.

Otherwise, what are the chances aunty beeb will make the bar wider? !

Advertisement
  2. Bonce34

Bonce34 Active Member

Hmm, worked for me this morning. Are you using the mobile version of the iPlayer website?

Try sharpening your fingers?

3. wellibob

wellibob Well-Known Member

make sure you use the mobile site of bbci player. the full blown version, the vids are not optimized for the desire really on froyo.

4. Lagerfiend

Thanks guys, I thought about the finger thing, but just can't find a big enough pencil sharpener....... :)

The mobile site won't let me watch anything over my mobile connection, only thru wireless, which is pointless really. The full site will let me watch anything I want thru my data conection!

I'm on tmob by the way.

5. d.chatten

d.chatten Well-Known Member

It seems that mobile iPlayer vids are only available to VF & 3UK customers, which i find shocking TBH.

6. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Well-Known Member

the ability to use the iplayer site with 2.2 is good however try myplayer from the market.i find it a very good alternative and find downloading programs to watch later much easier via myplayer

7. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

If that's true then it's a disgrace - all licence-fee payers should be able to access it!

BBC is going down the pan fast and good riddance to be honest. I once stood up for the great institution but sadly it's a shadow of its former self.

8. Vonph

Vonph Active Member

Especially when you see stupid spelling mistakes on the News site. No excuse when you're using a computer AND supposed to be a journalist (unless they use monkeys to do the typing).

9. d.chatten

d.chatten Well-Known Member

This is only true if you are using a mobile network, eg: 3G, you can still view iPlayer vids using WiFi, which is no good to anyone if you're somewhere that has no WiFi hotspots available, i agree, it's absolute disgrace.

10. Lagerfiend

So what are we gonna do?
    I'm am going to write to the BBC, I urge you all to do the same!

11. philarmer

philarmer Well-Known Member

What is the point in writing to the BBC. It is not them that is blocking content, it's the network providers who don't want you hogging bandwidth watching TV all day.

12. lutin

lutin Well-Known Member

If i'm listening to a radio stream (same applies to tv) and the screen locks, the audio stops.

Does everyone have this?

It's a bit of a pain as I'd like to be able to listen to live radio or "listen again" for longer than 5 minutes.

13. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

If you use the main site but set it on low bandwidth its its pretty good on 3g. Not sure how the data rate compares to the mobile site though.

14. lutin

lutin Well-Known Member

Also, there must be a way to circumvent the 3g restriction. How on earth does the iplayer site "know" what network we are on?

I don't think it's the network blocking the port, is it?

15. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Well-Known Member

Try myplayer app.streams BBC radio for me great as well as the tv section.

16. Lagerfiend

I tried myplayer and whilst it is good, not all content is there. Try looking for the very popular sherlock....

17. lutin

lutin Well-Known Member

That's strange, it was there the other day on myPlayer, I downloaded it. I just did a search for it a second ago and it's not there any more.

18. mykachu

mykachu Member

Is it really down to the network blocking traffic? (Although I'm sure they probably do)

When i go to the iPlayer website it tells me it isnt compatible with my phone, but it worked on my old iPhone (On wifi only).

I don't mind using wifi only, i can sneakily get onto wifi at work. Why has the BBC limited access of the mobile site so heavily though?

Couldn't agree more about everyone getting access. We all pay licence fee's, but why do iPhone owners get a service from the BBC that we don't?

19. chursel

chursel Member

I have just tried playing an iplayer video through bbc.co.uk's mobile site, but it says "Please switch to a Wi-Fi connection to play this programme. Streaming BBC iplayer programmes on a 3G connection is currently only available to users on the 3 network and contract users on the Vodafone network."