• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPlayer video quality not as good as via my bluray player

drb01

Sep 6, 2011
The video quality of iPlayer from my Sony BDP-S570 blu-ray player was excellent - you can chose between SD and HD, and HD was very good. Unfortunately the BBC have stopped supporting the Sony.

So I got a Chromecast, and the video quality certainly isn't bad. But it isn't as good as the Sony. Detail is ok'ish, but I don't think it as good as the Sony. Colours and contrast all seem a bit wrong / washed out. The overall impression seems markedly worse. The good news is the stream is reliable, although fast forward/rewind takes a long time.

It may be worth noting that if I cast 2.5MB .JPG files, the quality is not as good as the same file on a USB stick in the Sony. I have tried Castaway, LocalCast, BubbleUPnP. Some are better than others.

I am using a 1080p projector, have fast fibre optic broadband, and the WiFi is good.

Any ideas? Is a Roku streaming stick likely to be better?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones