Ipod dock

Last Updated:

1. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member This Topic's Starter

Well I just bought a Panasonic TV with an ipod dock. I was wondering if there was any conversion cord or some way to get the tv to play movies from my droid.

Please let me know if you have any information!

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

In a word, no.

3. 2001400ex

Do you know if they have any plans for utilizing the usb port for video out? I don't that that would be tough, I mean, iphone does, but droid doesn't? Even my wife's little ipod nano can play video on TVs.

4. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

The iPod dock connector has thirty pins in it. There are pins for video, usb, firewire, audio, power and serial connections. The droid's usb port has five pins in it. Power +, power -, serial +, serial -, and an id pin. Don't think it's going to be possible.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
    http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

5. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I was waiting for the HTC TP2, just for that reason, and it has an 11-pin USB for TV out. Droid 2 maybe?

6. 2001400ex

Interesting. I was not aware of that amount of detail and the ipod had dedicated pins for that. Is there a way for software to convert that data pins into video?

7. vry5

vry5 Well-Known Member

But what about just audio through the port? Has anyone seen a converter w/ iPod female end, and a male micro-usb...

I already have several apple docks, and a JBL desktop dock/sterio... I'd love to be able to put Droid on there...

8. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

It's just a usb port. Unless they're doing some weird hardware voodoo internally, you're not going to get it to do anything but power and sync. There's a headphone jack for audio out.

9. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer Active Member

I agree. For my iPhone, I picked up two very nice Sony docking stations. The iPhone is now trash, and I switched to an HTC EVO. Sure would be nice if there were an adaptor of some sort that fit into the iPhone cavity of the docking station, to convert it into an EVO charging station, as well as played music via the interface on the Sony.

If it is technically feasible to do so, surely someone out there realizes the market potential of having a drop-in adaptor for this purpose?

10. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

Wow, nice thread resurrection.

11. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Ok, exactly how many people are in such a specific situation? What would they be willing to pay for such a device? Is that actually profitable? Or are you just speculating on gut feeling?

12. sorceror

sorceror Well-Known Member

Look at the pinouts and the protocol descriptions that barry997095 linked to. You could build an ipod-to-microUSB adapter that would allow the phone to charge. You could add in a cable to plug into the headphone jack to get the audio out.

But the remote-control stuff wouldn't work. The iPod has a serial port that accepts those commands, and there's no RS-232 support in any Android phone I know of. There are USB-to-serial adapters, but you'd need an app on the Android phone to interpret the protocol. Or, whatever dongle you put together could maybe use the Bluetooth remote control protocol (and Bluetooth for sound). But at this point you've got a substantial bit of electronics going on.

You've either got a basic "charge and sound" hookup, or an elaborate "charge-plus-IPod-dock-to-Bluetooth" connection. I'm not sure how that'd be profitable...

13. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

what about using wifi?

14. sorceror

sorceror Well-Known Member

Could be done, but wifi consumes more power than Bluetooth. We're probably going to have to charge this gadget from the iPod dock it's plugged into, and charge the phone too, so we want to minimize the power drain.

Plus, Bluetooth already has protocols defined for the purpose, e.g. the "Audio/Video Remote Control Profile" (AVRCP).

15. gozmon

gozmon Member