IRC client?

Last Updated:

1. ChrisK15

ChrisK15 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Are there any IRC clients that work with the Droid/Verizon's network? I can connect to my usual server via its CGI-IRC web application, but none of the Android applications will connect; it just times out. Any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. chris.h

chris.h Well-Known Member

3. ChrisK15

Ah, I see. Do you know any way around it?

4. chris.h

chris.h Well-Known Member

Not that I've found yet. I tried lengthening the timeout but it just doesn't connect.

5. orac

orac New Member

I've been having the same issue. I've been able to connect with AndroidIRC using WiFi (Now updated and renamed AndChat). But couldn't connect using 3G.

Yesterday using the updated AndChat app, I was able to connect to one server on SynIRC using 3G. Every other server on that network would just timeout (I configuerd each manually). I was able to stay connected for about 2 hours when the connection timed out (with no notification to the AndChat client, I was able to type as if I was still connected, but I could see on my computer that the phone had timed out.)

Subsequent attempts to connect to that same server again all time out.

Could Verizon be blocking ports? Maybe blocking IPs that exhibit IRC-like activity?

6. ChrisK15

I'd guess ports, but a couple months ago I used a USB 3G stick and was able to connect to IRC fine. I wonder if it's just the phones that can't connect.

7. sekrit

sekrit Member

I use ConnectBot to connect to a server where I have irssi running inside of screen. It works great, and I don't lose connection to the IRC server if I'm in a no-service zone or anything like that. :]

8. fumoh

fumoh Member

win.

9. dustinpn

dustinpn Member

This is something to do with Verizon actively blocking IRC. Up till about a week ago irc.dax.no worked for efnet. I've tried every efnet server and dalnet server and not a single one of them works anymore. I've half a mind to call up verizon and bitch, but its just not that important to me.

*All servers I try work connected over wifi. So this is definately Verizon's doing.

10. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

I use AndroidIRC. works for me but I dont go on efnet

11. ViciousDelicious

ViciousDelicious Member

This...and irssi rocks!

12. dustinpn

dustinpn Member

Well, I set up openssh and cygwin just to see how this worked. And while it is a solution its not a very good one. Being able to connect over the verizon network would be a lot better.

13. orac

orac New Member

In the interest of furthering the discovery into why DROID Don't Do IRC-

Like everyone else, it seems my DROID doesn't like connecting to IRC over 3G, while WiFi works fine.

I was unable to connect via 3G to the following servers-

irc.synirc.net
    vision.on.ca.synirc.net
    aurora.uk.eu.synirc.net
    dissonance.nl.eu.synirc.net
    zero.dk.eu.synirc.net
    avarice.az.us.synirc.net
    envy.il.us.synirc.net
    harpy.mi.us.synirc.net
    swordfish.mo.us.synirc.net

But I was able to connect via 3G to the following server for approximately 2 hours-

fjord.no.eu.synirc.net

All subsequent attempts to reconnect have failed.

I've also tried to connect to several servers on slashnet and freenode without luck.

Someone on freenode suggested trying irc2.choopa.net - I was able to connect to this server via 3G, but I don't know anyone who chats on that network.

I'm thinking that Verizon must intentionally be blocking "IRC-like activity", but it's hard to fathom why. I'd like to raise the issue with Verizon, but it might be difficult to find someone in a position to do anything about it that will understand what IRC is.

Perhaps a key to solving the problem is finding smart person who works for Verizon that can take the issue to the right people. I'm already envisioning reading the Wikipedia definition of IRC to tier 1 Verizon call center employees....

It seems lot of people have been experiencing problems.

Connection to Server Timed Out - AndroidIRC | Google Groups

Droid/Verizon users - AndChat | Google Groups

14. ChrisK15

Oh hey, I go to SynIRC too. I have no idea why they'd block IRC, but it's pretty annoying. I hope you don't mind me asking but what channel do you go to?

15. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

You will have to use a port other than 6667. I am using AndroidIRC to connect to freenode via port 7000 on 3G and I never get kicked off. When I would try connecting with the default port (6667) it would time out. In fact, I'm in #androidforums on 3G right now.

16. orac

orac New Member

I get the same timeout no matter what port I use. I just tried every port available on synirc, and port 7000 to connect to freenode.