• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is 161 degrees too hot?

gwwjpd

Jan 7, 2010
NW Arkansas, Go Hogs Go!
Some specifics on my Droid.

NexBeast V1.0
P3Droid 1.2GHz Kernel, Overclock set @ 1GHz
Sweeter Home 2
23 Widgets on 5 screens
SetCPU benchmark 158 ms (@1.2GHZ)
Linpack 9.825 MFLOPS (@1.2GHz)

SetCPU Profiles
Profiles On
Charging 900/250
Sleep 600/250
Battery <50% 900/250
Failsafe Temp >50C degrees 600/250

Now, the circumstances.
I was listening to the Scanner Radio app, some police action in LA, and browsing the web. Then I notice the temp on my Droid was 152F. By the time I got DroCap2 opened to take a screen shot, it was at 161F.

jps_droid_161jpeg.jpg

So now I have a few questions.

How hot is too hot? (I read somewhere that 158F was the limit of the CPU.)

Why didn't SetCPU failsafe kick in? Or did it?
Does the failsafe profile read the battery temp or the CPU temp?

Does the TempMonitor app read accurately?

I stopped the apps and let it cool for a bit. Picked it up, was looking at some pics in my gallery, then it just rebooted by itself. It seems to be running fine now.

Just how far can these Droids be pushed anyway?

Yes 161 is too hot. I had some temp issues with 1.0 (never tried NexBeast, but it's based off of 1.0). At 161 that thing should have nearly burned your hand, you'd know if it was that hot. I think once it gets over 110, you can definitely notice. You can always try a lower kernal, or even another ROM to see if it makes a difference.
One problem is perhaps since Pete has put "controls" on SetCPU, that may have caused the issue. Though I'm still unsure about what he has for his "favorite" settings and whether you having profiles on is making any difference. Usually Navigation is a good app to find out how hot your phone will get (especially if you try streaming music at the same time). Give that a shot and see what happens. Otherwise, kernal/ROM change may be needed.

Upvote 0
Some specifics on my Droid.

NexBeast V1.0
P3Droid 1.2GHz Kernel, Overclock set @ 1GHz
Sweeter Home 2
23 Widgets on 5 screens
SetCPU benchmark 158 ms (@1.2GHZ)
Linpack 9.825 MFLOPS (@1.2GHz)

SetCPU Profiles
Profiles On
Charging 900/250
Sleep 600/250
Battery <50% 900/250
Failsafe Temp >50C degrees 600/250

Now, the circumstances.
I was listening to the Scanner Radio app, some police action in LA, and browsing the web. Then I notice the temp on my Droid was 152F. By the time I got DroCap2 opened to take a screen shot, it was at 161F.

View attachment 4560

So now I have a few questions.

How hot is too hot? (I read somewhere that 158F was the limit of the CPU.)

Why didn't SetCPU failsafe kick in? Or did it?
Does the failsafe profile read the battery temp or the CPU temp?

Does the TempMonitor app read accurately?

I stopped the apps and let it cool for a bit. Picked it up, was looking at some pics in my gallery, then it just rebooted by itself. It seems to be running fine now.

Just how far can these Droids be pushed anyway?
The chipset is rated for 170

Upvote 0
I actually knew the answer to the title question, the look on my face when I saw 161F.
wow.jpg
"WOW, THAT'S A HIGH TEMP."

I thought I was about to see and smell the electronic and silicon based smoking essence of the best phone I have ever had, floating in the night air. But luckily it ran fine after the reboot.

My SetCPU failsafe profile was probably too high on both setting the 50C and the 600/250, maybe 45C and 250/250 would have been a better setting.

I decided to flashed back to Bekit 1GHz Kernel and let "Pete's magic formula" control the CPU speed. I tried to duplicate the circumstance, with the Scanner Radio app running and some heavy web browsing, trying to overtax it, as soon as one page loaded, I would load another one. I kept that up for about 5 minutes, and the highest it got was 118F. It pretty much maintained between 118F and 105F.

I just thought I would share this experience with all of you. So, my phone is fine, and Pete, please keep blessing us with that coding magic that you do so well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones