Is 200mb enough??Support

Last Updated: 2011-05-09 21:44:43
  1. ghostinmachine

ghostinmachine New Member

Soo my upgrade is in a few days, and I've never had a smartphone before. I want to get the Inspire 4G, but I don't want to pay a whole lot for data. the 15$/mo plan sounds affordable, but will it be in the long run? I don't use email, very minimal web browsing, facebook, and never stream music or videos. I will also be on wifi alot because I am in an office alot with wifi. SO, is 200mb enough for me??

Advertisement
  2. UserName872

UserName872 Well-Known Member

If your use is really that minimal, than yes 200mb should be enough for you. By ensuring you are on wifi whenever possible it will certainly keep your data usage down. There are a few data monitoring widgets floating around that you can have display right on your home screen to always have an eye on your data consumption.

Also, if you find that you are going over your 200mb after the first couple months, you can always up to the 2GB plan if needed.
    ghostinmachine likes this.
  3. GuMbO2008

GuMbO2008 Well-Known Member

Honestly since this is your first smartphone i think you should get the 2gb data. Only because of the fact that you might will play around with the phone and open applications and not knowing that the phone has something running in the background.

Also The phone tends to use data even if you are not using it. I have the same exact phone, and a couple of night ago i tested to see how much data consumes over night (9 hour period). i came up with almost 2.00 worth of data. Doesn't seem a lot but it build up.

I personally think you should get the 2gb it is a whole lot of data. enough for the whole month. And with little chance of you going over. But if you get the 200mb the second you go over in data you will be automatically charged another $15.

And one of the greatest things is that with 2gb of wifi you can use instand messaging apps such as AIM to send free text messages over the internet. It's totally free sending/receiving. And people could only send you messages if you are online. And if you had the 200mb you only have a minimal amount of time to use it even though you use a wifi.

If you use wifi your only safe at the places that have wifi but people don't stay in one spot all the time. So chances are you won't have free internet all the time. I'm not trying to convince you to get a 2gb i'm just saying that it's a good idea to get one and look at the benefits that come with it.
  4. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

Your usage habits sound a lot like mine.
    I had no idea how much data I'd use, and decided to spring for the 2GB plan, but My first full month ended yesterday, and I was well shy of 200mb. If that pattern continues, I'm going to see about lowering my subscription.
    I use 3G Watchdog with it's widget on my home screen. I've heard it can take a day or so to completely sync up with AT&T, but I found it to be accurate enough.
  5. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

^^ That is not necessary, you can always turn mobile data off when not needed. There's also an HTC sense widget that you can place on your home screen to toggle it off and on.

If the OP doesn't think he'll use that much data, there's really no need for the 2GB plan.

Me on the other hand, I'm already up to 7GBs with 5 days left on my billing cycle, but that's because I tether and stream a lot.
  6. _Cody_

_Cody_ Well-Known Member

I have the same plan and I only have used 30mb in 11 days of my billing period. I check scores, Facebook, and web browse lightly. I too have wifi most places I go. It works for me and sounds like it will for you.
  7. buckyandroid

buckyandroid Active Member

I have 200 MB plan, it's fine if you just use email and occasional web browsing, and use wifi at home. As long as you're not downloading videos with data (only do with wifi). I'm able to easily keep under 5MB per day (150 MB per month).
  8. spoiler61

spoiler61 Well-Known Member

I use the toggle, i just leave it off and if there is no wi-fi i turn it on and do my buisnesss then turn it off..i also have auto sync off..i have not even come close yet. Just keep an eye on your data..
  9. damiross

damiross New Member

AT&T will also send you a notice when you are approaching 200 mb. At least they did when I neared 200 mb.

A caveat: I may have gotten the notice because I upgraded to the Inspire. As a result, they cancelled my data plan for the old phone and put me on the same data plan for the new phone. As a result, the new data plan was pro-rated.