Is 2GB Internal Mem as opposed to 16 a big deal?

Last Updated:

1. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Another way to say it is, if I were to purchase a Fascinate as opposed to a Captivate, would that memory difference be a big deal for doing the various things, such as lag fixes, etc?

Through Amazon, if moving to Verizon, there is a great deal, considering it would be two of us. But I don't want to be sorry I did it.

I do think there is greater DEV support for the Captivate ATM, but presume they will catch up.

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

2gb memory is a huge deal for me, 2 gb cant even begin to hold the music i am currently listening to.

also i know the lag fix for the captivate uses 2gb memory so that would be impossible to do on the fascinate. 2 gb of memory, for me atleast, is pretty much a deal breaker but some people may not need it as much as me

3. ewingr

I have a lot of music too, but I would put that on an external SD. The question is about internal SD. Net net, max memory on the Fascinate would be 14GB lower than the Captivate. I don't know if I'll miss that or not.

Regarding the lag fix, there seem to be fewer choices ATM for teh Fascinate. I'm reading a thread on that right now. They have one that is the EXT2 files system type, which the recommendation is to set that to 1GB of memory.

I"m beginning to think that some point in time I may miss that internal memory. I guess another question would be can some of the things that is done on that internal memory be done on an external card.

So, it seems that ultimately there may be more of a limit on how may programs can be installed.

4. Lagunar

Lagunar Well-Known Member

the captivate is higher ranked in every page you can look

i have been reading and they are NOT the same

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id[]=2695&id[]=2836&id[]=&id[]=&id[]=

also i read somewhere that you can't set the search provider other than bing... is that right????????????????????? i HATE bing :p

Review: Samsung Fascinate : Menus (Phone Scoop)

"The Samsung Fascinate earns its title with a fascinating blend of influences and features. It's a Google Android phone with Samsung's TouchWIZ interface tweaks running Verizon Wireless branded features with search and maps handled by Microsoft Bing. Let that sink in, because that is a Shakespearean cast of strange bedfellows, indeed."

5. ewingr

The phone scoop link doesn't work.

There is a work around to remove Bing and use Google.

I've been reading too, and the main differences are:

• Internal Memory (topic raised on this thread) 15 for Captivate, 2 for Fascinate
    • 16 GB SD included on Fascinate (So total memory for the Fascinate is actually higher, but only 2GB internal), none on Captivate
    • Flash on Fascinate
    • Casing

Here's a nice grid comparison to the 4 U.S. Variants.

I'm thinking I prefer teh Captivate, but I"m not sure it is worth $250-$300 more (based on 2).

I actually expected some feedback on Verizon vs AT&T, but that has been nil. A bit interesting.

6. Lagunar

yes, i know, i edited it!!!! if you select it and paste to your browser it will work, it doesn't like the full url, i don-t know why ^^

7. Lagunar

hey but in your link it says you can't hotspot with the captivate!
    that's wrong, am i right?

8. ewingr

Correct, that is wrong.

BTW...I am getting the Captivate. Decision made. But always interested in discussing these topics :p

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

The "strange bedfellows" notion is strange itself, with regard to what search engine or any other app is included with a hand held device's software these days.

I'm sure the implication is not that Google collects less personal information than Microsoft does. ;)

In addition, with either search engine, the user has the option to accept or decline the personal info gathering portion of the provider's function, via user agreement choices.

Incidentally, I found Bing easy to remove, but Google too intricately embedded in the system to completely and totally get rid of without eliciting force closes and various error messages. Perhaps there is a way, but I have not found it yet.

De-binging in the Fascinate, though, that's a snap. ;)