• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is 3G connection required for texting?

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
I have a good wifi connection and can make phone calls, but I can't send a text.

when I try to send a text, I get an error message that says "message not sent." with no explanation.

I noticed the data connection says "connecting...."

do I need a 3G connection to send a text? I thought texts can be sent with just a regular voice connection. quite often my data connection is off because I have wifi, and I can still send texts.

what could be causing this? any ideas, please let me know.

thanks
gary in vermont

I have a good wifi connection and can make phone calls, but I can't send a text.

when I try to send a text, I get an error message that says "message not sent." with no explanation.

I noticed the data connection says "connecting...."

do I need a 3G connection to send a text? I thought texts can be sent with just a regular voice connection. quite often my data connection is off because I have wifi, and I can still send texts.

what could be causing this? any ideas, please let me know.

thanks
gary in vermont

No 3g is not needed to send texts. Have you rooted, or installed a custom rom recently?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones