Is 3GB enough for me?

1. skeeterca

skeeterca Active Member

I'm getting my first smart phone and i really hope that 3GB per month is enough. To bump up to 5GB with att is just too much for me. I guess i'll do some surfing, maybe see some youtubes, download a few apps, and of course text and play some games. What do you think i would use in a month?

skeeter

Advertisement
  2. bubbalv29

bubbalv29 Well-Known Member

As long as you're not streaming endless pandora or youtube, you'll be fine. I didn't think 4GB would be enough for me, but it seems like I still haven't gone over 1GB yet, and I stream, download, and almost never use wifi. Of course, my phone's internet is better than my home wifi. You will most likely be around wifi a lot, so there's another thing, whenever you're connected to wifi, you don't have to worry about your usage.
    xmr405o likes this.
  3. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Not sure if you've seen this yet but here's ATT's data usage calculator. It might give you an idea.

AT&T Data Calculator

Btw, welcome to the forums!
  4. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Well-Known Member

I have an unlimited plan for my phone from Verizon. Last month I decided to watch a few movies, and daily streamed an episode of Stargate SG1 over NetFlix app, in addition to all the other surfing and things I do. Did not even bust the one Gig mark.

You can get the app 3G Watchdog to monitor your usage so you know when your are about to go over your limit. I do not need it but I use it just to see what apps use how much data.
  5. I went threw 2GB in a couple of days watching netflix almost constantly, but as long as you don't plan on streaming tv shows of netflix or long youtube vids all the time, you should be fine.
  6. skeeterca

skeeterca Active Member

Sounds great, thanks alot.

skeeter
  7. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

+1 for 3G watchdog. I don't use it myself (I have unlimited), but it's a great tool to monitor usage to see if you're headed for an overage. It sounds like you'll be fine though.

I don't stream much of anything when not on Wifi, and I've never gone over 300MB in a month.
  8. Kicksilver

Kicksilver Well-Known Member

If you don't stream, it will be more than necessary.
  9. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

I've had my phone since Dec. and haven't reached the 1gb mark yet out of 4gb. At home I do stay connected to my wifi, but out and about, I use 3g/4g the most, unless wifi is available. I would say I'm an average user also.