is 4G just unreliable at the edges of coverage or is there something more going on?Support

1. efdisaster

efdisaster Well-Known Member

My girlfriend's phone had perfectly fine 4G signal for the first few days that she had it... and then it changed from ok 4G at work, and no signal at all at home, so we had to settle for wifi (! yup her 4G signal was much faster than our home DSL connection).

Then, for various reasons, we did a full reset and the same thing happened... perfectly fine 4G signal here and at home for a couple days, and then it dropped it's 4G and just never seemed to pick it back up again, in the house... so we gave in to wifi, again.

Then I rooted the phone, so I could try to squeeze some more battery life out of the it, with SetCPU... and the same thing happened, again. We got a couple days of fine 4G signal here at the house (and at work, as usual), but it just mysteriously dropped its signal, so we went to wifi, again.

According to the coverage map, our house is right on the line between 4G and extended 4G.

And I did try that "turning on and off the 4G radio" ... and, since it was doing that thing where it would go to absolutely no data, when it lost 4G, we did try switching from eHPRD to "Enable" on the cdma modem mode, I think that did allow us to connect to 3G, but I haven't enabled that again, since the first reset, and it didn't help us get a 4G signal in the house, once it lost it that "first" time.

So...
    conspiracy theory? Real issue? Anyone else have anything similar happen?

Advertisement
    :
  2. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Well-Known Member

If your on the edge of coverage I would expect it to be iffy.
    I doubt it's anything sinister.... your just on the edge that's all.

there are a lot of factors that influence signal strength and one of those is that they are probably working on the system and another is probably as simple as weather conditions.
  3. WA_Bob

WA_Bob VIP Member VIP Member

My experience is that I go straight from 3G to 4G and back again as I go from one coverage area to the next. (I live near a 4G area, but not on the edge like you.) I've never had the phone "crash" myself either. You may want to contact Verizon and see if it's your phone. If so, a new one may be in order.
  4. burban

burban Member

In some areas it is definetly a Verizon thing and not an edge of coverage thing. In my case I am in the middle of a heavy 4g coverage area. You can go 1-2 miles in any direction and 4g works flawlessly and incredibly fast. However, at my home I can't use data at all most of the time as it switched from 4g, 3g, 1x to no data.

The only option I have found is to turn off 4g then I have a reliable 3g connection. When I leave my house I just turn it back on 4g. It is a real pain in the but and I hope Verizon corrects it soon!
  5. Romikemi

Romikemi Well-Known Member

There's a problem with the HTC LTE implementation recognizing a tower response that the 4g network is oversubscribed and to try the 3g network. The patch in about two weeks will cover this and a few other things like idle battery usage and force closes in bloatware.
  6. nkd

nkd Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat as you are, lol. So much for being in the dead center for 4g coverage, I am suppose to have the best coverage in my area. I think Verizon has some work to do with their LTE service and HTC has to work on the software. I hate it when I go in any direction away from my house and service works epic and at home It is like a battery killer, unless I switch to 3g. It is kinda pathetic if you ask me and makes me mad. The funny thing is one day it will work great but today I came back from work I had no service inside my house for 15 mins until I switched back to 3g.
  7. Silent Thunder

Silent Thunder Well-Known Member

I suspect a Verizon problem. Mine has been flawless the last 2 weeks and all of a sudden the last two days its been in and out. Its not the handset its Verizon.