Is 500mb enough?Support

Last Updated:

1. randyhk

randyhk Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I've went from a Blackberry to a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant. I know 500mb for a blackberry is way more than enough, but now moving on to android, it's a whole different ball park. I turn on wifi when I'm at home, but not so lucky at work. I just downloaded 3G watchdog app, and when I tried to go on The Province | Latest Breaking News | Business | Sports | Canada Daily News. That main page ate up over 1mb of data. *cries*. I set my facebook refresh at every 3 hours, but I want to know more tips on how to consume less data if possible. More specifically if I should leave Background data and Auto-sync on or off in Accounts and sync settings.

Advertisement
  2. EnglishCrusader

EnglishCrusader Active Member

I am always downloading apps, going on the internet daily on my Galaxy S, load videos and all sorts, 500mb for me is plenty for the month, however 02 do good deals, but are the worst for support, and answers, that last bit was irrelevant, but hey haha, Hope this helps!

3. arigold

arigold Member

Does your 500MB plan start charging after 500MB or do they just limit your speed connection?.
    Anyway i think 500MB should be enough for a "normal" use of the phone.

4. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

If you're on WiFi when at home it should suffice. I have the same data and its been ok with hourly Twitter/Facebook/Weather updates, always-on push email, and a bit of browsing here and there...

5. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

as soon as you start streaming on 3g 500mb goes quite quickly, I use most of my 1Gb every month

6. sean2476

sean2476 Member

Do as much as you can on wifi and just use your internet allowance for when your not in a wifi spot. I have 1gb allowance and my operator vodafone send you a text to tell you that you are near the limit then if you go over it they charge you

7. randyhk

randyhk Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reassurance guys! I just want to update that so far I've used up 15mb of data today with just facebook update every 3 hours, and receiving a couple emails here and there. I've tried my GPS on the bus to test the accuracy and it used up roughly around 7mb within several minutes. The GPS was fairly accurate until it kept going straight when the bus made a left turn. Lol! I'm wondering if anyone knows what Background data do exactly?

8. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

I would die on 500MB. With radio streaming (slacker) and NHL Live, I'm eating through about 400-500MB a week. lol