is a developer phone required to create app?

Last Updated:

1. south69_dallas

south69_dallas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

im new to this obviously but i want to learn how to develop an app. I have a rooted g1 for everyday use but before i download the sdk etc is it safe to use my g1 to learn how to develop apps or should i use a 2nd phone or any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Boogs

Boogs Well-Known Member

Nope, a developer phone is not required. You can use the emulator, which will probably cover about 90% of your required testing tasks. In fact, for easy programs, the emulator will cover all your needs before you publish your application. However when you need that extra 10% of services any old android phone will do - it doesn't even have to be rooted. Just go into the settings menu and turn developement mode in and you're set.

3. disco6stu9

disco6stu9 Member

I'd add that you should be mindful of what types of apps you want to develop. I worked on an app that used the camera. Everything was great in the emulator and even on a G1, but once I posted to the Market I discovered that it had major issues on the Droid. It took me a while to find someone who would let me debug the app on the Droid itself. After that I always made sure to get some "beta" testers before posting. ;-)