Is a full charge needed before 1st use of the Droid?

Last Updated:

1. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, Droid noob here.

UPS just dropped off my Droid. Just plugged it in & it's charging for the 1st time. I haven't gone thru the initial setup or anything yet, because I've read that it needs to charge for 3 hrs before you do anything with it? Is this true?

I need to call in the serial # for activation, but haven't yet. Is it cool to go ahead w/ the initial setup even though it's not fully charged up yet? Or will the battery be adversely affected?

I'm wondering if some of the people complaining about battery life didn't let it charge fully before starting to play with it, as is recommended in the User's Manual.

Btw, this is a kickass forum, and I can see I'm going to be spending a LOT of time here.

-Gunner

Advertisement
  2. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I turned it on and let it drain before I charged it up the first time. I'm getting very decent life with my battery -- made it through several hours of surfing the net etc at work the other night.

3. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

Mine from VZ store was almost fully charged out of the box.

4. Gunner

So I guess I should just wait before setting it up then?

5. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

You should be able to go ahead and call to have it activated while it is charging. Mine came with about 80% charge out of htebox and I haven't had any problems.

6. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Modern batteries are pretty tolerant when it comes to these things. There's no longer a need to "train" them. I think over the course of device's lifetime, assuming equal use, one that has been pampered will barely have better capacity than a battery that's been abused.

7. Gunner

I figured as much, but when you read these warnings in the user guide, then you read all these complaints from people about poor battery life, it makes you 2nd guess.

Already called in to my wireless rep.

Actually...looking at the battery meter icon now, it appears that it's already stopped charging. Took less than 1 hour out of the box.