Is a hard reset the only option?Support

Last Updated:

1. whtge8

whtge8 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

To fix a laggy froyo? It takes about 5 to load my homescreen, the unlock screen is extremely laggy as is the text, and trying to scroll through the web is difficult. I am not good when it comes to phones but is doing a hard reset the only option to fix this? And is there a simple DIY that is idiot proof? I almost regret installing 2.2 as it drastically reduced my phones speed. Thanks on advanced.

Advertisement
  2. sixwarzone

sixwarzone Member

I too am trying to avoid a factory reset, mostly out of principal and plain stubbornness. You just shouldn't have to resort to this measure (i am hoping anyways). Some helpful tips are out there, suchas signing out of Google talk, setting the browser plugin to "on demand", but there is definitely something else going on in the OS that's stealing the CPU. I've uninstalled some apps that were burning CPU and couldn't be killed such as Fring and QIK, at least until they get updated, and I'm going to uninstall my taskkiller next.... as that is also reccommended.

3. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Just get your msl#, backup, suck it up, and do the reset already! It'll be much less hassle than dealing with your current issues.

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Here's your DIY for a proper reset and recovery:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

sixwarzone - welcome to the forum.

I can see you're stubborn - but I'd be surprised if you have some principle that can answer to systems engineering, as explained again below.

sagedil and CriticalCritic like this.
  5. EarlyMon

Per the suggested procedure - no msl# is required.

There has been ONE case where a reprovisioning was required. That was a pretty screwed up phone - but it got unscrewed.

CriticalCritic likes this.
  6. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Nice. I guess my old Samsung Moment reset method has become obsolete. This is so much easier!

7. EarlyMon

Yep. Speaking of which - still trying to get some PC to recognize it so I can put Radioactive Froyo on that Moment. Just happy I haven't bricked it yet!

/offtopic

8. whtge8

If I lose all of my installed apps what happens to the apps I have paid for? And does backing up save all of my contacts and what not?

9. EarlyMon

Yes - the procedure shows how to save all of your apps to begin with.

If you have a simple configuration, a free app called ASTRO File Manager will save your apps and Google will save all your contacts.

If you're doing anything more sophisticated then a standalone app might be right for you.

It's all in the instructions - please read through them carefully, as well as the follow-on comments so you know what to expect.

If you follow these instructions you will end losing anywhere from little to nothing - it's entirely up to you.

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

Please read carefully - as a group, we've been trying to ensure that everyone's needs are accounted for.

PS - I've been following this procedure several times this week alone while installing various kernels and experimenting with various configuration options. The only thing I've lost is my sms messages - and that was by choice.

sagedil likes this.
  10. whtge8

I think ill just deal with it, ive been reading through that thread and still feel this process is too complicated for me. I dont want to risk losing valuable information and money.

11. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member

You wont lose anything. If you are sure your contacts are synced with Goodle you are good to go. If you are really worried, backup to your PC (we should all do this every once in a while anywya) as well as Astro.

When I bought the phone I was coming over from a BB and wanted to know how and where everything was stored. There is not desktop manager with the EVO so I didn't know. They told me from the get-go to backup to my PC every once in a while (or get an App) and that inevitabley....... I would need to do a factory reset. No different than the BB battery pull and restore that happens every once in a while.

Anyway - the process is not complicated at all, jsut follow it step by step and you'll be back up and ready to go within 30 minutes. Yea - you have to go back in and reset some of your preferences (ring tones, etc), but you have a fresh phone that should work great!

12. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Forgive me for being short and blunt this morning....

You are being a bleeping fool if you are having issues with Froyo and HAVEN'T done this yet. How many freaking of us have to post rave reviews about how a reset completely fixed us does it take before you just give up your bleeping fight and just do it!!!

13. blstrick55

blstrick55 Member

Hard reset made my phone work like a dream after having problems since updating to froyo. Fixed everything I was having iasues with and improved my battery life. Just do it - its not hard. I'm a novice but just followed the directions and it was easy.

14. whtge8

Just did it, followed the directions to a tee. Lost my contacts, and calender info and yes I made sure to sync, three times just to be sure. Phone does not run any smoother. Web browsing is still awful, and text is still incredibly laggy.

15. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member

Give it some time. Power the phone off , pull the battery, and then power it back on after a few minutes. It took a little time for my contacts to show back up, but they did show up.