Is a new-in-box HTC Hero going to do OTA programming to .6 by default?

Last Updated:

1. xevious

xevious Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Previous phones I have activated have done OTA programming that also performs firmware updates. Does this happen with the Hero? I'm just wondering that if this happens, if there's a way to stop it. So, if you have a Hero loaded with 2.27.651.5 or earlier, you wouldn't want it going to 2.27.651.6 and blocking the ability to root the phone. Of course, you could flash the phone back to 1.5 and then root it to 2.27.651.5_R, but what a pain.

Also, is knowledge of the MSL required at any step of the rooting process? I looked at some instructions and didn't see it mentioned.

MSL is referenced here: HTC Hero Programming

Also, anybody know what interface "CSM" is and how to get to it?

Advertisement
  2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Not really that much of a pain, as it takes only 5 minuted to reflash back the either 1.5 or 2.1 because even if you rooted it would loose all the info on your phone anyways, so it is only 5 minutes extra anyways. So either way you would be loosing your info and starting from scratch.

3. ronbien

ronbien Well-Known Member

As far as I know you do not need the MSL for any part of upgrading or rooting, or even downgrading. It is nice to have however and when I called Sprint they just gave it to me, no questions asked.
    Good Luck!

xevious likes this.
  4. jonwlewis

jonwlewis Well-Known Member

I just got a replacement Hero last night. As soon as I poewred it up, it automatically had a pop up bubble that said that there was an update available for my device. It asked me if I wanted to update my device. I said yes and *poof* the new .6 was on my phone. So I was very happy.

5. xevious

xevious Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cool. Thanks for the replies, folks. I figured it would take the better part of a half hour or more to do the firmware flash--5 minutes is definitely a walk in the park. :)

I've had an LG Lotus for the past year and got the MSL from Sprint when I informed the service rep that I needed access to change the menu option (Carousel to LG default). It's always good to have that number, as you never know when one of the advanced settings will be useful/desired. But I'm glad to hear it's not required to do the firmware flash. :D