• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is a old sim card still good?

Theoretically, no. All a sim (subscriber identity module) does is authenticate your device on the network. I'm using an old sim from 2009 in my N4 as well and I haven't noticed any discernible problems. Calls are clear and data is as fast as I can expect here (no LTE yet).

Are you having problems? Sim's do go bad and need to be replaced.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Theoretically, no. All a sim (subscriber identity module) does is authenticate your device on the network. I'm using an old sim from 2009 in my N4 as well and I haven't noticed any discernible problems. Calls are clear and data is as fast as I can expect here (no LTE yet).

Are you having problems? Sim's do go bad and need to be replaced.

No, I am not having any problems, I just want to make sure I was not missing out on anything such as better reception or faster speeds. I guess I could ask ATT for a new card, but the less they know about anything the better.

Upvote 0
No, I am not having any problems, I just want to make sure I was not missing out on anything such as better reception or faster speeds. I guess I could ask ATT for a new card, but the less they know about anything the better.

I've found ... at least in the stores here ... AT&T doesn't really care.

Upvote 0
I've found ... at least in the stores here ... AT&T doesn't really care.

Maybe I will stop by and pick a new one up. I had to use an adapter for my first GNex as it took a full size sim and the iPhone had a mini. I think with this phone, I did not need the adapter anymore.
I just don't trust ATT. I don't want them to turn off my tethering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones