Is a Screen Protector Worth it?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Agl1431

Agl1431 Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed yesterday my screen protector had a rip in it...that's the 2nd one I've gone through because of a rip. I didn't even drop it or scratch it, I just took it out of my pocket and I saw a nice rip. I have 1 screen protector left and I'm starting to think if I should even put it on. I think the screen feels weird with it, and my Droid X loses it's nice shiny screen. So, what should I do?

Advertisement
  2. Tukaram

Tukaram New Member

I always use them. One thing to consider is why did it rip, and what would that have done to the screen itself had the protector not been there?

GrandMasterB likes this.
  3. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

Also, what kind of screen protector are you using? Maybe invest in one that won't tend to rip if you have a cheaper one. 15-20 bucks will get you a perfect one that shouldn't be ripping...unless there's something that is clearly ripping it like Tuk mentioned

4. Agl1431

Like I said, I don't know how I got this rip.

5. Agl1431

Well, I'm using the VZW screen protector and today I was researching that I shouldn't be using the VZW screen protector since I heard there are better ones. There is nothing ripping the screen, it's just that VZW's protectors are crap, but it's a start. I am looking into Steinbeil Ultra Crystal Clear or InvisibleShield. Do those sound good?

6. jbhumph

I personally use the Phantom Skinz screen protectors because that's what I got when I ordered by skin from them. I originally had the VZW one on launch day cause that's what my girl and I both got for the time being. I hated those but love the Phantom Skinz.

The Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear is what I'm thinking of ordering for myself. I have seen nothing but great reviews on these and they aren't very expensive. Win on both sides, IMO!

If you're using the VZW one, I don't think you can go wrong with ANY other whether it be InvisibleShield or Steinheil...cause they just aren't the best quality

7. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Those are 2 completely different types of protectors. Make sure you know the difference before choosing one. Steinheil protectors are hard plastic staitic cling protectors the same as Boxwave. These are my preferred type of protectors because they are beautifully clear, slick and durable but can scratch over time.

InvisibleShield are made from military grade rubberized material, usually have a rubbery drag to them, orange peel effect but are incredibly protective in most situations.

For overall protection I think the military type protectors might have the upper hand but based purely on looks the optical clarity of the hard static protectors win IMO. I have Phantom Skinz (military grade material) on my Droid X I applied yesterday and I really don't care for it at all but its half the price of a "good" protector.

GMB

8. Agl1431

Alright, well this sounds good. I'll look into Phantom Skinz, but most likely I will get InvisibleShield because Best Buy have them, and they can install it for me and as I am not good at putting on any screen protector :p Thanks for your help.

9. jbhumph

GrandMasterB brings up some really good points!

Bottom line, everyone has their own personal preference. Look at each closely and since which one you would like as they are all in different materials and thicknesses as well :)

10. Agl1431

Alrighty, thank you everyone for the help!

11. sparks17

sparks17 New Member

I have the Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear and I can't even tell it is on the screen.

12. JazzMat

JazzMat Well-Known Member

I guess the only people who can determine if screen protectors are "worth it" are those who've had the misfortune of having their screens scratched. It's one of those items you pay for out of fear of what might happen without it.

I have the Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear and couldn't be happier. I recently saw a friend's phone with the InvisibleShield. I thought it looked awful. No way I would accept that orange peel look on my phone.

I started out -- like so many -- with the Verizon anti-glare protectors they suckered us into when we purchased our phones. It wasn't until I installed the Ultra Crystal protector that I realized how crappy the Verizon anti-glare protectors actually were.

13. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

Same for me, get one, totally worth it and you won't even realize you have a screen protector on once it's installed.

14. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Hey man,

So you came over from the Incredible too huh? ;)

Good to see ya here man. :D

15. supersales5

supersales5 Active Member

I bought the Steinbeil Ultra Crystal Clear off of amazon and love it. Very clear.

Amazon.com: SGP Steinheil ULTRA CRYSTAL Screen Protector for MOTOROLA Droid X [Verizon]: Cell Phones & Service

I had an issue with the install and I emailed him. Got a replacement very quickly

16. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

17. sparky07

sparky07 Well-Known Member

+1 on the Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear. I had the invisishield on my last phone and didn't like the orange peel look or the drag.

18. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated Well-Known Member

Invisible shield and "best skins ever" protects are easy to install, but they do install wet. However, because you can slide them around you don't have to get it perfect on your first try. The trick is to simply get the pieces lined up and have as little bubbles as possible. then let it dry some, then back back wipe your finger around on it to get any moisture/air out, make sure its lined up still, rinse repeat. I just Press to help and wipe to get as much moisture out as possible. (I dunk the entire thing into the bowl or water (little dishsoap) before applying it to the phone. It does not even have to look perfect because after a day or 2 all the air will evaporate out anyways.

It does have the orange peel a bit which I find slightly reduces glare and you can't really see it with the screen on. Not sure what the "drag" issue is, I haven't had a problem with that. fingers slide easily over it. Although I can imagine that a matt surface might be more ideal.

If you get the full body skin, I find it will not slide off surfaces nearly as easy as a bare phone. Which is quite nice when setting your phone on places where it might slide off. For example I can set it on my Trucks dash and it never goes anywere.

A screen protector is certainly worth it unless you don't care about scratches on your screen.

19. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

First accessory I ever purchased for my X, hell, for any smartphone I've owned.

20. queenrocks77

queenrocks77 Well-Known Member

I use the VW screen protectors and I love them.