1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

is a top-up required immediately after activation?

1. amk2795

amk2795 Well-Known Member

So I'm getting a new phone Friday (HTC Wildfire S, I've decided) and my GoPhone balance doesn't run out until the end of the month. I've compromised with my parents that if I got the phone, I'd wait until the end of the month to start the service (Which is $10 more than I'm paying on AT&T currently).

So if I buy the phone, can I activate it/get a new phone number (Which I need because my current phone number isn't in this area code/it annoys me and my phone number has been spammed by numerous telemarketers) without topping up right away? Or do I have to put money on the account right away? If so, I can wait a week to activate it (I'll just play around with the phone itself until then!)

Thanksya!

Advertisement
    :
  2. melim

melim Disabled

Have to pay for your first month to get a # and service from VM. And they recycle #s like soda cans, so you'll probably still get a lot of telemarketing spam. And calls for the last 3 people who had the # before you, if you're lucky like I was...:rolleyes: So play with your new toy for a week, activate and pay (check this forum for the kickback codes thread; free minutes for you and the person whose code you use. PM the person first to make sure they're still a VM customer and the code is valid, though), then put your new number on the Do Not Call registry right away.
  3. amk2795

Oh god I know, it happened to my mom. She had to get a new number.

It's not that I don't love you all, but my mom's forcing me to use her kickback code, aha.

What's this?
  4. UnixPimp

UnixPimp Well-Known Member

I cannot speak for all Radio Shacks, but the one near me insists on selling you top up minutes for a new VM phone unless you have an existing account with VM.

Be prepared to argue with the pimple-faced geeks that work at Radio Shack if you go there.
  5. melim

melim Disabled

Absolutely use your Mom's code, then. :)

https://donotcall.gov/

And yeah with the Radio Shacks. Mine didn't give me a problem, but you can always have someone else go in for you and say it's a gift and the recipient isn't going to activate it right away if you don't feel like fighting with them and their made up policies.
    amk2795 likes this.
  6. amk2795

Well on Black Friday, they're not going to want to deal with setting up a prepaid account at 5:30AM.

If they ask, I'll just tell them it's an upgrade.
  7. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I've had my number 21 months and never had a problem with this, nor has my wife (although she has only had her number for 7 months).

Just tell them you do not want/need the minutes and if they insist ask for a manager or head over to Best Buy. I did exactly that when I bought my wife's Optimus V.