Is Amazon MP3 DRM-Free?

Last Updated:

1. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm considering making the leap to buying digital music. As much of a tech-geek as I am, I still buy CD's. So shoot me, I like to have the physical collection :) I finally figured I may as well give some online purchases a shot.

I know for a fact, though, that I refuse to buy anything that artificially restricts my use of the files. If I purchase from Amazon MP3, I need to know one thing.

Is the music totally DRM-Free? Meaning I can download it on the Droid, transfer the files to my comp, upload them, download them, send them, stream them, transfer them, etc. Basically, are they unrestricted MP3s? I'm not planning on doing anything illegal with them, I'm just completely against DRM in all of its forms.

Advertisement
  2. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

3. Vzard

Vzard Member

You're dropped out of the digital time :D

Music files ended with .mp3 extension are all DRM-free.

As far as I know, there are only two types of DRM'ed music, one is .wma using Microsoft's "Play for Sure" DRM system, most of them from Windows Media Centre, Napster, Rhapsody, Nokia Music Store, Spiralfrog, iMeem, iMesh, Bearshare, eMusic, Puretracks, MusicGiants etc (of course, .wma from Zune Marketplace is a liitle dofferent); the other is iTunes .m4p using "Fair Play" DRM scheme.

You can use CD burning & re-ripping method to strip DRM license from protected music, drawback is time-consuming when compared with a ** LINK REMOVED BY MOD **
    As to video files, .wmv TV shows & movie (rented or bought) from CinemaNow, Movielink, Amazon Video on Demand, Xbox Live, Zune Marketplace etc ahve DRM protection; iTunes .m4v the same, and some .asf files have DRM, as well the BBC iPlayer video service(.wmv or .mp4).

For protected video movie files, a ** LINK REMOVED BY MOD ** is a good solution.

Stay happy in digital time with DRM-Free! ;)

4. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

actually there are drm'ed mp3...only they aren't mp3's. It was an attempt by the RIAA ( i believe ) to dupe the americans into beleiveing they were getting DRM free media....fortunatly enough geeks helped educate the general public and they never really manifested.

MP3s with DRM

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies, people. I had heard that Amazon was not restricted, just wanted to be sure before I paid for anything. I know Apple uses AAC, just wasn't sure if the MP3 format itself was able to be DRM'ed. I actually was under the impression that it was possible. Well, now I know a little more.