Is an Antivirus app nec. for my Epic?Support

Last Updated:

1. hybid09

hybid09 Member This Topic's Starter

Is really worth downloading an antivirus app, such as Mobile Security? What are the chances of getting a virus through apps? Have any of these ever detect or even block a virus/malware? Should I be concern about my privacy? (pretty much they have total control and can use it as they please!):confused:

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

IMO, antivirus apps are relatively useless.

Be careful with what you install and you'll be ok.

3. Matty Mo

Matty Mo Well-Known Member

The only thing i think about when i decide whether to get an antivirus program or not is that a cell phone CAN get a virus just like a computer CAN get a virus...

4. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

The biggest threat will technically be trojans... but to avoid splitting hairs... I prefer to use the term malware, as it can cover many forms of malicious software.

Yes, there is absolutely a chance that you might download and install an app that claims to do one thing, and in the background does something else that they don't tell you about. That activity could be a keylogger, it could be some sort of spy app that monitors SMS messages or call logs, or it could be an app that turns around and downloads/installs additional software.

Google has yanked apps from the android market because they were malicious. I think they yanked two of them last summer.

Has there been a widespread threat yet? No.
    Do you really NEED to have it now: probably not
    Do some of the AV have useful features besides AV (backup, gps locate, lock/wipe): yes.
    Is there some value to these apps, even if there isn't an active threat today: probably.

Do I run one? No.

-SF