Is android all that?

Last Updated:

1. admob

admob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Before i get flamed for being a troll, i have a desire and love it, my question is this.. is the stock OS the bees knees, or just the SENSE overlay that makes it so sweet.. I have seen a android tablet with stock interface,and TBH ,itv looked a bit dull... i fancy a tablet, but wud i be a bit dissappointed if it was just the stock OS?

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

That's the beauty of Android. Don't like it? Change it with a different launcher. Not sure what's out there for tablets, though, but i have no doubt they will be coming if they aren't there yet.

3. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is indeed, all that. It's all that and an apple core.

As much as sense does for android, I'd still rather have flat android. No Bluetooth stack issues, huzzah!

4. Ngo93

Ngo93 Well-Known Member

yes it's all that

5. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

Now for a less biased opinion.
    Android has its flaws.
    No easy integration with Outlook notes and tasks.
    The email clients for pop3 leave a lot to be desired, but they work.
    Special ringtones for select contacts don't always ring as specified.
    Contact syncs have issues, and from what I read so does social networking contacts and pics.

durps likes this.
  6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Well duh, all devices have their flaws...some of the flaws stated are not proven. My ringtones for special contacts always work, and have not had issues syncing contacts.

7. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

To me "all that" means near perfect.

You haven't had those issues, great for you.

There are many threads asking about the custom ringtones not ringing and even more about syncing contacts, especially with regard to facebook.

I don't sync my contacts, I have them exported to my SD card, if for whatever reason I need them again I'll just import them.

8. AndroidSPCS

No, "all that" does not equal "perfect". If that was the case, then NOTHING would be "all that", as nothing is perfect.

Shocking, I know. Even me, I'm not perfect, but I am "all that", and more!! :D

PS good luck with your archaic way of handling contacts. Pray your SD card doesn't die or fail. Me? I'm kind'a strange, I use Gmail to sync my contacts... yea I know I'm strange.

9. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

In this day and age the average consumer has moved from wanting functionality to wanting beauty. "So long as it looks pretty I don't care what it CAN'T do!" seems to be the mentality these days. Not saying that you (OP) feel that way, just saying that people seem to give an OS a thumbs up or down at a single glance, often times without even having any first hand experience on it. As has been said, the great thing is that you can make it look the way YOU want it to, something that isn't really true for any other modern phone OS, including the brand spanking new Windows Phone 7.

10. AndroidSPCS

Very true with the iPhone crowd, but I think that mentality is changing as Android is over-taking iPhone. I have a semi-retired 2G, 3GS, and iPod Touch that I rarely use any more. Played with an iPhone 4 again because my Daughter dragged me to the Apple Store to play with the iPad, but I felt sick after playing with the iPhone 4 for a few minutes and had to set it back down.

11. happy0506

happy0506 Well-Known Member

it's all that, and a bag of chips!

just wait for gingerbread, fruit cake, and apple turnover! :D android will cure cancer.

AndroidSPCS likes this.
  12. lordofthereef

I honestly feel it isn't just the iPhone crowd. I know a handful of people that picked HTC devices just for sense (**point at girlfriend and her sisters...**). The irony is that they can reall have sense on any device with some tweaking. Not that I wouldn't endorse HTC since I love my EVO, but makin a decision for that single reason is a bit silly IMO.

13. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Android is not perfect. It doesn't even have some features that I want. However, for the most part, it does what I like and what I need it to do. I have an HTC Desire Z with the Sense UI. As I haven't used stock android, I cannot compare. I am looking for functionality first and looks come a distance second in terms of what I need in a UI. Sense does have some good functionality with the UI and widgets.

I have encountered some issues myself with contacts. I think the issues are due to some syncing errors that I made than anything else. I have since resolved those syncing errors (which took much time) and have not encounter those issues since.

The missing functionality that I want is better bookmark organisation in the browser. I have ended up dedicating a home page for browsing with folders of bookmarks. It works, but could be better. A few other things would be nice.

As for the looks, Sense is pretty slick. I find that it is really impressive and is a wonderful experience to use. The novelty will wear off over time. Looks will give a short term benefit, but functionality will give you long term benefits. I think that Sense has both.

14. lordofthereef

Have you given Opera mini a shot? Not sure if it would cover what all you want, but I would give it a go if you haven't already.

On a slightly on-topic note, I would love to see firefox or even chrome in a mobile version. Those are my all time favorite browsers on both Windows and OSX.

15. vinniewarlock

vinniewarlock Member

Yes, Android is all that and more.

And I have no complaints about functionality, and I love just how much choice do I have to thinker with my phone in any way i want (God Bless Palm for developing this passion for customization in me), and Google wont try to shove down your throat their view of how Android should be... they're made it open and they are just happy with it like that.

16. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

It'll cure cancer by running it through the wall with diabetes.

17. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Like many things, it's a subjective matter. Only you can answer the question of which you prefer.

There are many threads on many, many issues. Forums aren't an accurate representation of things and neither is any one person's individual experience. Don't assume that you can extrapolate bigger trends using limited data points and skewed data. In any case, none of this is relevant to the OP which was asking about stock Android versus Sense.

18. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I did install Opera Mini. I had it on my old N97, and it was nice to be able to get my old bookmarks. I do find that Opera Mini is only good if I only plan to read text and not flash videos or if I do not type messages. The only real advantage Opera Mini provides for me is a fast way of going back to a previous page and bookmarks. Not enough to supplant the Android browser. So far, a home page and folders is the way I'm going.