Is Android for me?

Last Updated:

1. pwfb

pwfb New Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings all! Just found this forum and find it very interesting!

As for me, I have been using cell phones for 23+ years, back when you had a handset in your vehicle, picked it up and said; "mobile operator, please connect this call to......" I have used Blackberry's for 9+ years; remember Mobitex?

About 2 years ago I moved away from carrying two (basic cell phone and a BB) devices. This was a HUGE mistake as I have yet to find one device that can do it all, at least reliably and efficiently. Sadly I have seen Blackberry decline (design and quality) over the last few cycles.

Today I am deciding whether to go back to two devices, give iPhone 4 a try even though I am a devout VZW user, or perhaps give Android a try.

My problem with Android is that I keep getting conflicting information. I use Google Premier Apps (paid version) for my business. I am unable to see (access) my mail folders (labels) on the BB nor can I manually file incoming messages to the appropriate mail folder. I have an iPod Touch and when I have a WiFi connection, it is NO issue, hence why I am considering iPhone 4.

Well, that's my story---at least from a technology point of view :)

Advertisement
  2. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

i have used BB, android, but not iphone.
    the google apps on android work very well in my opinion. unfortunatly i dont know what the premier apps do differently then the free gmail, maps, and calender so i cant speak to that.
    calender and gmail both update instantly (similar to BB) when you have new items added to them online (either recieving an email or adding/deleting an event)

Calender:
    you can add and remove events both online or in your phone and they update instantly both directions.
    facebook seemed to work better for me on my blackberry but i didnt use the calender as much as i do now so i cant say for sure.
    facebook events currently will add themselves to my phone but do not have a title?
    google says they are working on this issue along with calender only updating itself every few hours from facebook and no manual sync option currently.

Email:
    gmail does use all the folder options on the phone exactly the same as on the internet.
    you can also set each folders sync settings for your phone independantly so you can filter out coupon/spam emails from your device and only look at them online.

Internet:
    the internet browser on android is just ****ing amazing compared to BB. there is no contest at all.
    i used to not use my BB for internet at all except to check my bank account when i was really nervous i might overdraft.
    now i use my android device as a secondary to my laptop, sometimes instead of turning my laptop on i will browse this forum while watching tv.

typing:
    if you had a BB pearl then there is a compact qwerty mode on my phone that mimics that pretty well.
    i use the landscape keyboard mostly, (my thumbs are too big to do the small keys very well with touch screen)
    i can type just as fast now as i could on my BB curve (the best keyboard i have ever seen on a phone, better than the bold, tour, pearl, ect.)
    sense UI has predictive texting that i have been told is not in the stock OS builds. i am very happy with the predictive texting this phone does. when you type it slowly learns what words you mean to type by you tapping the words, it also learns new words by just tapping a little plus symbol next to the word as you type (very convenient)

do you use exchange email???
    i use activesync with my exchange 2005 sever and recieve emails instantaneously.
    i can search the company directory through the email app as well.
    also currently im on a 29.95$ data plan and so far VZW hasnt told me i should be using the 44.95$ data plan (although they said i would need it when i asked about activesync.)

i cant think of anything else right now but ask another question if you want more detail about something.

EDIT:
    i should note that i have only had this phone (and its my first android) since 5/5/2010
    EDIT2:
    after seeing nullalx answer i have to say that i just use a regular gmail account not a google apps account.

3. nullalx

nullalx New Member

Hello pwfb! I think that Android would definitely be a good platform to consider. As far as your specific question goes, I use Google Apps as well (the free edition, but that shouldn't matter). The Gmail app for Android is excellent, and everything works as it should for Google Apps accounts. The menu for the inbox has a "View labels" option that shows all of your labels (and unread counts), and the individual message menu allows you to change labels and file messages away manually. Batch labeling of messages is also supported.

There is an option in settings to change which labels are automatically synchronized (so you can avoid having the spammier ones notify you, for example, which is something I've found useful.)

I actually have 3 accounts sync'd: one personal, one business (both Google Apps) and a regular Gmail for use with the app store (Google Checkout does not work with Google Apps accounts).

Android vs iPhone is a whole different debate :p With Android being a Google platform primarily, its integration with Apps is as good as you'd expect.

(I have an EVO 4G currently, and have had a Droid and G1 previously).

pwfb likes this.
  4. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

Battery Life:
    this has been a huge deal for lots of members here.
    personally i think the major reason for the "horrible" battery life is the amount of use people get from these devices. my BB curve would last me about 3 days (7 am to 1 am) and this phone lasts me from about 8am to 12pm 1 day.
    the difference is that with this phone i am surfing the interenet, using my calender, replying to facebook, playing gameboy advanced, checking the weather and time, ect. my BB i would just use for email, txting, and phone.

5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, glad to have ya aboard!!!

6. pwfb

pwfb New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks to you, and everyone else for the feedback!

Ironically, I don't filter anything per se. I read it and then manually file it in the appropriate folder/label. I have LOTS of folders/labels, especially client related.

The inability to do this on my Blackberry is the final straw to push me out the door. That said, I have become aware of a very inexpensive ($20 a month?) BES service that works specifically for Google Premier Apps users like myself. I may try this.

That all said, I still may buy an inexpensive used Android O/S device to see if this would work as well, if not better than what I experience on the iPod Touch.