1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

is Android hardwares turning into Apple?

1. Instead of Android phones influencing Iphones and WP, more and more Android phones now have irremovable battery and no expendable memory. Just take a look at the evolution of the nexus phones.

What if Samsung decide to follow this trend as well? In a few years time, all smartphones will have irremovable battery and no expendable memory, this is not something I look forward to.

Advertisement
    :
    Gmash likes this.
  2. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

I smell lawyers...
  3. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

I don't know why the idea of removable battery and expendable memory is not in favor with phone manufacturers. Is it becuz of cost? It is cheaper to build phone with irremovable battery and non-expendable memory?
  4. Omar Days

Omar Days Well-Known Member

maybe samsung might go with non removable battery, but i cant see them ever not supplying an sd card slot. imo it's one of the reasons many people buy their phones.
  5. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

6. gamer_carrot

gamer_carrot Member

Apple will probably sue the manufacturer of a next phone with irremovable battery.
  7. excellent article, if Google really want to rid of SD card, why do they only offer 8GB and 16GB nexus 4 when Iphone 5 goes up to 64GB??
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Yeh I was thinking that...I mean hasn't Apple got a patent for non-removable batteries?
  9. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I think it's because Google is trying to push people towards their cloud services.

Can't see Android phones in China losing their expandable SD-card storage any time soon though.
  10. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

ocnbrze and Davdi like this.
  11. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

I've personally used a total of two android phones. My first one was on Gingerbread and had an SD card. I CONSTANTLY forgot to dismount the card when I unplugged it from my computer. And that caused many issues.

I am on JB now, but not having an SD card and having to unmount it is - to me personally - a god send. That, plus I have only used half of my 16GB so far makes it seem like no SD card is a good move for my personal usage.
  12. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

I have an OG EVO with limited storage, so I do have a lot of app moved to my SD Card.

However, if I had larger internal storage, all of my apps would be on the internal storage. Even then, I would want a SD card to keep my picture, video, music on. If all of it was on the internal storage, and I had to do a Factory Reset, it all would get wipped out.

And, no, I do not sync my phone with my computer. The last time I tried that with a Blackberry several years ago, it completely screwed up my Blackberry. It took me weeks to recover the correct setting.

Honestly, I do not want to go through that again.
  13. jefboyardee

I
  14. lets take Droid DNA for example

This phone has a 1080p screen, torrenting a 1080p full Hd movie will take at least 4GB with some blueray rip around 7GB. In Droid DNA, you have 16GB with usable storage of around 11GB, minus all the other stuff on the phone such as photo, books etc you can only fit one full HD movie to take advantage of the 1080p screen.

Are you serious?

If Google feel that apps installed on SD card will affect the performance, that make sure all apps are installed on internal memory, since they are all quite large in size now days, but expandable memory for movies and videos, which are non operation vital but takes up large storage.
    Gmash likes this.
  15. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

16GB is a deal breaker for me. I need 32GB.

There are enough instances where I do not have network access that would make relying on cloud services not feasible for me.
    Gmash likes this.
  16. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

Question, I had a mac and a blackberry, so I understand the sync issue. However, now that google drive is an option for storing information, why not store items there that aren't needed everyday?
  17. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

So because of one bad sync, years ago on a completely different platform you won't sync your device? Even though the vast majority of millions of people (most of which have no idea what they are really doing) do so every day without a problem?

Eh I suppose it is no big deal since Android is designed to be independent of a host PC. I do hope you have figured out ways of getting your data on and off of the phone and backup regularly though. At least that is the lesson I would of taken away from the experience.
  18. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member Contributor

And don't forget Google Play Music/Amazon MP3 for your music (Where most of mine is).
  19. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

When you put it in that context, the conspiracy theorist begins to wonder if there is a MPAA influence being felt here?

The truth of the matter though is that Google and more specifically manufactuers are not really concerned about the very small (the word infintisimal comes to mind) percentage of people who want to carry 64+ GB of 1080p movies on their device. They are concerned about the experience of the average user though who doesn't even use the 16GB built into the device. If their research shows SD cards are harmful to that experience and it saves money not to include it - out it goes.

Fortunately, Android still supports it so there will probably always be some manufacturer making a device for the people who want an SD card.
  20. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I can't speak for nexus phones, but carriers are also playing a role. Reports are saying that Verizon specifically requested that HTC remove the SD card on the DNA from the Butterfly J(International Version of the DNA). No doubt this is because of data no longer being unlimited for a majority of users, they want people streaming from the cloud and racking up huge data amounts in order to make more money. So you get the double whammy of google wanting you to use their cloud services, and carriers wanting you to use lots of data.
    Gmash likes this.
  21. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member

I think its stupid. SD cards you can take wherever a cloud you can't unless you have network access. Major flaw in my eyes on top of that what If some hacker or hackers decide to hack the cloud then what. All your info is in other ppls hands now? Come on lol
    Gmash likes this.
  22. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Think of it this way...It's far more likely your phone will be lost or stolen than your cloud storage will be hacked. If the phone is lost or stolen but locked cloud storage is still safe. But the info on a card is available even if the phone is locked.

I have no problem with cloud security. I stash copies of everything in the cloud. But I
  23. jefboyardee

24. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

I don't trust encryption. There's always a key.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
  25. gneugneu84

gneugneu84 New Member

Google does not allow SD slots in their devices because they make money from selling higher storage versions. i.e. Nexus 7 or 10. :)