Is Android USB/Charging standardized?

Last Updated:

1. jonr

jonr Active Member This Topic's Starter

The subject really says it all. Can I use a charger or USB from a HTC with Samsung or Motorola phones?

(pleasepleaseplease)

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

For a charger (voltage/amperage step-down transformer) the connectors and the voltage/amp values, along with the polarity have to be the same as the original unit made for the specific device.

In the case of just the USB cable, the connectors have to be the same, or they simply will not connect.

3. jonr

Well, it looks like it. My google image searches seems to indicate that the Samsung S and Droid share the same mini-USB.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Be sure to check both ends. ;)

5. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

My girlfriend and I use each others chargers all the time. She has the Incredible I have the Droid 2 and we both have Blackberry car chargers in our cars.

6. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I would be willing to bet that most will work. THat said, I have had certain aftermarket (the best buy and radio shack branded) cables not work on various devices. This wasn;t with android units per se, but worth noting nonetheless.

7. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

I have used my razr 2 charger to charge my droid. even used my Ipod touch plug with my droids cable to charge my droid. funny thing is when I tried the plug drom my droid and the ipod cable. the touch said something like wrong charger is being used and wouldnt charge. funny huh

8. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member

I use my palm pre charger to charge my HTC incredible with no issues. The only issue with different charters is the car charges. Supermarket ones (most) charge really slow.

9. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Yes. USB is standardized. Some use a lower voltage than others (still within the USB specs though), but they are interchangable. I use my wifes LG charger on my Droid X all the time.

10. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Yes I do it all the time. Also with Blackberry and Nokia chargers with micro USB ends.

11. jonr

12. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

All you have to do is look at the mA that the charger supplies. Less mA = longer charge time (to a point). It's possible that the supermarket doesn't stock higher mA chargers but I wouldn't make any assumptions just based on the type of store when you can read the specs and definitively tell.

13. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant to put aftermarket ones but it auto corrected to supermarket.

I was basically implying all the car charger ones I have seen take forever to charge.