• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone else frustrated? Not just a rant

like i said in the other thread, i love this phone besides the bugs. i know htc isn't going to let their moving up reputation go down the drain so im sure they will do what is necessary. i think what we all need is some reassurance which we have not gotten, but when the smoke clears (and i mean the bugs are rolled out and the new OS is brought in) we'll see what this phone really was meant to be. i love the phone and cant wait for the new os. (just god help me deal with the bugs till then)

Upvote 0
This is my second VERIZON (not iphone) touch phone and it is head and shoulders above the previous one. I think everyone needs to be patient. Iphone got it almost perfect right away. Verizon is trying and will get it right. Many of the people who post here sound like spoiled brats. Get a life. So what if there is a 2 second lag; you will live.

I am sure all of this will be history in 6 mos. I would have gone to Iphone 6 mos. ago, but I didn't want to deal with that 2nd rate network. I have never had a dropped call. Can the AT&T people say that?? After all, it is a phone !!

I guess most of you complainers are from the "instant gratification" generation.

Haha, well first off, I'm not from the instant gratification generation, but I definately am from the "vote with your wallet" generation. When I bought the phone, I wasn't told I was going to be part of a beta test group, I was told the phone (and OS) was production ready.

Unfortunately, this "wait and they'll eventually get it right" attitude is exactly how we ended up with Microsoft and it's buggy, security hole riddled software. Just wait, they'll get it right, 14 years and 5 os' later, of which they've charged for each one (even when it was not much more than a bugfix of the last), and we're FINALLY starting to get it a little better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone. The form factor is the best I've tried. But first and foremost it's a phone, and it doesn't do that well. The lag is ridiculous, the end call [physical] button doesn't work sometimes, battery life sucks, and sometimes it just slows to a crawl for absolutely no reason. The phone (os) requires WAY too much tweaking just to make it usable. It really feels to me like either this phone was released before it's time (maybe they should have waited for 2.x) or it's just completely underpowered.

Now, 2.x may very well turn out to be the panacea that everyone is hoping for, and I hope it is, but until then, mines going back to Verizon, and I'll turn my trusty old LG VX8300 back on.

Doc

Upvote 0
I don't see where 2.0 will be the do-all fix-all that everyone is hoping for. 2.0 is in the Droid, and it has even more problems. I am hoping Google will release 2.1 for both phones and address these issues. Google knows they have a lot riding on this.

Funny... My friends wife has a G1 running Cupcake and has had zero issues since the phone rolled out. Then again, it's a Google phone thru and thru...

Upvote 0
I don't see where 2.0 will be the do-all fix-all that everyone is hoping for. 2.0 is in the Droid, and it has even more problems. I am hoping Google will release 2.1 for both phones and address these issues. Google knows they have a lot riding on this.

Funny... My friends wife has a G1 running Cupcake and has had zero issues since the phone rolled out. Then again, it's a Google phone thru and thru...
Well, its looking like the Eris will be getting 2.1 instead of 2.0. So hopefully, that addresses some if not all of these issues still happening with the Eris.

Upvote 0
Where did you hear that from? Source please.
HTC's Twitter page. It doesn't mention the Eris specifically. What was released is that the Hero will get 2.1 That information was released by Sprint, HTC on their Twitter page confirmed it...and since the Hero/Eris are the same device in different shells...one would deduce that the Eris will get 2.1

HTC (htc) on Twitter

Upvote 0
HTC's Twitter page. It doesn't mention the Eris specifically. What was released is that the Hero will get 2.1 That information was released by Sprint, HTC on their Twitter page confirmed it...and since the Hero/Eris are the same device in different shells...one would deduce that the Eris will get 2.1

HTC (htc) on Twitter

I see that @sprint is saying the Hero will be getting 2.1...

Upvote 0
i was just listening to a podcast that stated, google has 40k bug fixes to work on....needless to say they will be BUSY!
best to find what u like and ride with that.
look at it as, it WILL get better with time :)
my phone is perfect!
except...i just got a replacement and my market downloads arent there!!!!
anyone know why???

Upvote 0
I see that @sprint is saying the Hero will be getting 2.1...
The link I provided is HTC's Twitter page. They confirmed it, you don't have to be Einstein to figure that one out...especially with the :) at the end. Like I said, since the Hero and Eris are the same phone in a different shell....you can put two and two together....that the Eris would get it as well.

Since I might have to spell it out.....since HTC retweeted what Sprint said....adding the smile at the end is confirmation that Hero will get 2.1....and again, since the Hero and Eris are the same device internally, one would deduce the Eris would get it as well. There is the chance that it may not, but, its looks definite....which is why I used "might".

Upvote 0
The link I provided is HTC's Twitter page. They confirmed it, you don't have to be Einstein to figure that one out...especially with the :) at the end. Like I said, since the Hero and Eris are the same phone in a different shell....you can put two and two together....that the Eris would get it as well.

Not trying to argue with you, just pointing out the facts. Not surmising. When I see "@verizon" or "@HTC" say it I will believe it.

"@sprint" can say anything they want about what OS is coming to the Hero. It is their phone--no matter how close to an Eris it might be.

Upvote 0
There is the chance that it may not, but, its looks definite....which is why I used "might".

Actually you said "Looks like it WILL". Go back and read your post!

Well, its looking like the Eris will be getting 2.1 instead of 2.0. So hopefully, that addresses some if not all of these issues still happening with the Eris.

Upvote 0
Haha, yeah, you're right....my mistake on that. I stand corrected. The end meaning is still the same though....o_O

It's all good. Hope it turns out to be so! I see no reason to not get 2.1 and I just hope it brings some fixes not just Google Maps with Voice. I didn't use it on my Droid because it wasn't accurate.

Gotta get to work. Peace, gents!

Upvote 0
hey, if the sales rep who assisted you didn't qualify you for the DROID from the beginning then the sales rep didn't do his/her job because the DROID WASN'T the device for you.. You have to be patient when dealing with new electronic devices.. If you are having so many picky issues with DROID then you should have gotten an LG-VX 8360--its a simple flip phone thats makes calls and excellent speaker, JD POWER & associates gave it a good review, or a Samsung t-339 under t-mobile another good flip phone or Samsung Rogue if you still want internet features but not the $29.99 data plan... Don't complain about something YOU made the final decision on if you are not going to be patient and accept what the phone can or can not do...:D

Upvote 0
hey, if the sales rep who assisted you didn't qualify you for the DROID from the beginning then the sales rep didn't do his/her job because the DROID WASN'T the device for you.. You have to be patient when dealing with new electronic devices.. If you are having so many picky issues with DROID then you should have gotten an LG-VX 8360--its a simple flip phone thats makes calls and excellent speaker, JD POWER & associates gave it a good review, or a Samsung t-339 under t-mobile another good flip phone or Samsung Rogue if you still want internet features but not the $29.99 data plan... Don't complain about something YOU made the final decision on if you are not going to be patient and accept what the phone can or can not do...:D

I must have missed that part of the owner's manual that said, "thanks for your money, now please be patient while we attempt to get it right". Other things not mentioned in the manual or by any sales rep:

- Battery life is abismal. Please be patient as you will spend countless hours tweaking in an attempt to squeeze more life from the battery.
- The unit will slow down for no reason, please be patient, it will eventually come back.
- The unit will have periods of excruciating lag when rotating between portrait and landscape mode, please be patient, it will eventually get there.
- When bringing up the "PHONE" function of your PHONE, it will sometimes be so slow that you will click on a contact, then the list will scroll and you'll be calling someone else. Please be patient, apologize to them on our behalf and try your call again.
- When typing a message, sometimes it will be so slow that the first 5 or so characters will display about 1 sec. apart. Please be patient, it will eventually catch up with you.
- When sending MMS, your recepient may sometimes not receive it, even though we say they did, please be patient and resend, we'll eventually get it there.

The whole, "be patient" thing is crap. Why should I expect less than full functionality from a device that I buy from a retail outlet? Any component that is not fully functional should never have been included. To get a new device then be told to remove the messaging app and replace it is just plain stupid. Sure, I understand that unforseen bugs happen, but for the company to not acknowledge the issues and assure the users that they're being worked on is just piss poor business. That's why they'll be getting a bunch of them back. If someone stepped up and told us, "yes, we acknowledge your issues and are actively working on a solution" that'd be one thing. Without it, I have no alternative than to believe that some if not most of these will be swept under the rug. Look at the Krzr, that was a flaming piece of crap from cradle to grave, should I have waited for them to get it right too?

Again, this is the kind of mentality that made Microsoft what they are today.

Upvote 0
I am a noob when it comes to the whole smart phone community. The Eris is my first. I do love it. What I did notice though is the following. I downloaded a ton of free apps. Some of which I feel were forcing my phone to do peculiar things, (post update), such as freezing, having to force close programs, opening up applications randomly. Not that I would see them open but when I opened up my ATK they were running in the background.
I uninstall-ed a bunch of useless apps and my phone is running much much better.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones