Is anyone else hoping that the world's 2nd 4G phone will have a phyisical QWERTY?

Last Updated:

1. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Nah

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Yes, alot of people are, actually.

4. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

physical keyboards are becoming a thing of the past. It is far faster to type on an on screen keyboard than to press physical buttons.

5. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I can type way faster on my G1 than I can on my N1 or Cliq XT using SWYPE.

I guess it's all based on personal preference. For me, I would love for the Galaxy S Pro (if true) to have a physical keyboard.

6. Eazail70x7

Maybe you can, but this is just you. Not only that, there are many varieties of slide-out keyboards out there too... Some better than others. Which have you previously used?

7. saltorio

saltorio Well-Known Member

I used to prefer hardware keyboards, but after having my X10 for a few weeks now, I must say that my mind is changed on that matter. The ability to customize software keyboards and have intelligent text entry systems like Swype is far better than having a fixed hardware layout that may (or more often) may not be well implemented.

8. IOWA

So it is clear, people want both. So what's wrong with having the option? Are they spending your dime and nickel to purchase the phone?

9. Eazail70x7

Not that I am interested in getting the LG Ally but do you think that this will be the first Slide-out QWERTY phone to have a 1GHz Snapdragon?

10. IOWA

I think so...

11. bottlecap

bottlecap Well-Known Member

I prefer physical keyboards, my Eris can't keep up with my typing the way the blackberry could.

12. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Physcial keyboards are a plus for some games as well. Emulators are a prime example.

13. gmjlopez

gmjlopez Well-Known Member

I prefer physical. I've been forcing myself lately to use only the touch screen but get frustrated to easily and quickly slide my keyboard out. I don't think I could ever give up my keyboard. Call me old school I guess.

Eazail70x7 likes this.
  14. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

If it's a good physical qwerty, yes. If they pull something like the Droid's keyboard (or worse), no.

It is far faster for you. Please speak for yourself. I prefer good physical keyboards and find that I type far faster on them. I still use a BB 8310 for work and I definitely prefer its keyboard over the Droid's keyboards even though I really like Swype.

15. dzine2fit

dzine2fit Well-Known Member

I tried the touchscreen only phone and honestly I cant give up my slide out keyboard.n1 is nice but the no physical keyboard is a con for me.

16. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

1st Android phone? The eXpo's rockin' the Snappy, but also WP6.5

17. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Absolutely not, why would I want a phone that uses old tech instead of something better. Eventually the people that don't like change will give in and use virtual keyboards and then no phones will have keyboards at all. Can't wait to upgrade my phone this summer and ditch the physical keyboard!

18. IOWA

Better? For you maybe. You can't argue with ergonmics. This has nothing to do with people not liking change. There is no virtual keyboard in existence that can compete with the efficientcy, speed, and overall better feel, than a hardware qwerty

19. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

Just because you do not find a need for it doesn't mean others out there really like having a physical keyboard. I have had a completely touchscreen phone and one with a keyboard. Guess what? This 23 years old prefers the physical keyboard! It is all a matter of preference, and a touchscreen keyboard cannot give me the same feel that a physical keyboard does.

20. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

God, this argument is getting played out. lol.

Simple fact of the matter... what works for one person won't always work for another. Physical keyboards are not "old tech" and the users will never "give in". So you are happy with a virtual keyboard? Awesome. Two thumbs up. It doesn't mean I would be. I like my physical keyboard, and there is nothing that will change my mind about that.

As for the original topic... I cant wait to see what is coming out for 4g Sliders... but then again, I have to wait for Verizon to get their 4G online first anyway.

Eazail70x7 and IOWA like this.
  21. Eazail70x7

Yes, first Android in the US :eek:

I see that you have a Moto Droid... Perhaps this is why you can't wait to ditch the physical keyboard :p

The Droid has argueably one of the least popular and liked keyboards. I think this may have played a part in your perception of physical keyboards. Better keyboards have been out for years and I hope to see more good ones in the future, Its not old tech.

22. IOWA

Yeah the droid keyboard is terrible.

23. lyons238

lyons238 Well-Known Member

this is my personal opinion. im getting the evo and if i were to pick another phone it would be the incredible or n1. im not a big fan of physical keyboards because im pretty good at typing on virtual keyboards and can actually type faster on them, so it's a waste for me to have a physical keyboard. the only time i do like a physical keyboard is when im drunk. touch screens are just damn hard when ur tipsy lol

24. Eazail70x7

Hey Iowa, how mad will you be if Spring comes out with one before this year is up? lol

25. IOWA

Assuming you meant sprint(lol!) I would be happy, because i'm not upgrading until my premier upgrade in november =P