• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone else just a little bit underwhelmed by Nexus S?

Correction: The Nexus S does not record in HD.

That being said, how can a phone targeted at tech-savvy developers lack microSD support? That makes no kind of sense. End-users could probably do with 16 GB and 32 GB internal storage. A 64 GB model would be nice for developers if they really want to use internal storage since devs will use up a lot of space faster than an end-user would.

Wow, you're right. I've looked at its specs several times, and I guess since my brain saw a 720 there, it automatically went to the 720p conclusion. The more I look into this device, the more I'm starting to become "underwhelmed" and agree with this guy here:

Why did Google cripple the Google Nexus S ? | MobileTechWorld

The more I compare the less I like it, from both the standpoint of seeing it as a "developer" phone, as some call it, or as a "consumer" phone as it's being marketed (commercials, being sold in Best Buy exclusively for the first part, etc.) I've actually had the chance to use it personally. The curved screen is neat, but the phone is actually thicker overall because of it, and the footprint in your pocket is actually slightly more substantial than the Fascinate. Yes, it's a hair more comfortable when held up to your face to make phone calls. But what about calling with bluetooth, or just using it as a smartphone for games and PDA stuff? What good does the curved screen do you there? Is it impressive? Yes. Does it really make a functional difference? Not at all. I think it added unnecesary cost to the device.

If it's a developer phone, a 16GB limit is not a big deal in my opinion. Support for developing apps that use expandable memory IS a big deal, however. A lot of development will be done on the PC with a handy keyboard and mouse environment anyways, so the space is not an issue in my opinion. But if a dev is really gonna use this phone, you'd think they'd want to be able to test apps that can read/write to the SD card as well, right? How are they going to test that now? It's an important feature for app development, because virtually ALL the other Galaxy S variants, as well as MOST Android phones in general support a microSD card slot, and 2.2 and up support installing apps directly to the SD card.

As a consumer phone, why in the HECK did they limit it to 16GB when it's supposed to compete with the likes of the iPhone?? It contains excellent music and video playback capabilities, but now an iPod Touch or an iPhone are actually a better bet for long term trips because you have much larger storage options with a similar quality screen and also excellent battery life. And again, as a consumer phone, why on earth did they limit the video capture to such a paltry resolution? Videos I've taken with my Fascinate really impress. I recorded my son's very first piano recital in 720p using my Fascinate. The video looks great, played full screen in its full 720p glory. The lighting conditions weren't even the greatest, and it still turned out quite nice.

The only thing it has going for it over other phones is 2.3. That's it. And what 2.3 can do that 2.2 and 2.1 can't, the developer community will do their best to bring to the people anyways. And eventually 2.3 should be available to the most modern devices. (in 2013 if you're on Verizon.)

After actually using the device, I'm more disappointed than ever with the Nexus S. I much prefer my Fascinate with 720p video and SD expandability. If I want to video conference I'll use my laptop (and I actually do use it for that.) I realize the FFC will be awesome for those that need it. But for those that don't "need" a FFC or "need" 2.3, there are other options that will give you more features on most of the major networks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones