• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is ANYONE having reception issues?

Jofaba

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2010
I'm starting to feel like the Gods are against me on this one. Is no one else having these problems? I can't see how and I see others talk about it, but everyone calls it the "death grip" and all it is for me is "using my right hand to hold the phone, rather than my left". I go from 3-4 bars to 0-1. I have actual connection drop; confirmed by SpeedTest and web/marketplace performance experiences.

I'm going to go back to Best Buy when I get a chance and see if another phone does the same, but it's ridiculous how this thing's reception changes so drastically changing hands.

Am I really the only one suffering from this? Will replacing this phone really fix that issue?

I'm starting to feel like the Gods are against me on this one. Is no one else having these problems? I can't see how and I see others talk about it, but everyone calls it the "death grip" and all it is for me is "using my right hand to hold the phone, rather than my left". I go from 3-4 bars to 0-1. I have actual connection drop; confirmed by SpeedTest and web/marketplace performance experiences.

I'm going to go back to Best Buy when I get a chance and see if another phone does the same, but it's ridiculous how this thing's reception changes so drastically changing hands.

Am I really the only one suffering from this? Will replacing this phone really fix that issue?

My BB Pearl had better reception but this isn't prohibitive.

Upvote 0

This is interesting. I tried Captivate phones from different AT&T Stores (Right now, tried 5 stores) and as soon as I hold the phone, the signal drops 2 bars - yes, inside an AT&T store which probably have a microcell somewhere hidden. Without holding the phone, the bars are only read as 3, except from 1 store (has 4 bars, not full). All other phones inside the stores have full bars which is I find weird.

Do you have rubber case for this phone? Maybe you could ask for a case and do a re-test. I'm planning to buy it but I want to make sure that it is the right choice. I'm hesitating because of the GPS/Compass and this.

If you do have a case, please let us know if data is still crappy.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
same thing happens with me. I can hold the phone with two fingers on the side of the phone. I get 4 bars. As soon as I put the phone on the palm of my hand, it loses two bars. :(
And I tested this in a lot of different places.

Even my wifi shows 1 to 2 bars when all my iphones, and ipod touches have full wifi. This even.happens with other peoples wifi routers.

Upvote 0
What's odd is the only thing down there UNDER the cover is the battery. We have no way of knowing how the antenna is designed within the back. I agree, metal seems to be the reoccurring theme between this phone and the ip4.

I wanted to see if it was a conductivity issue with the human body (as well all know by know you can grab a radio's antenna and usually FIX the reception; we are very conductive) but one sheet wasn't enough to filter the connectivity. I am interested to see if I put a cover on it whether it cleans up, but I have my doubts.

Thanks so much for all the replies so quickly. I was starting to think I was crazy =P

Upvote 0
What's odd is the only thing down there UNDER the cover is the battery. We have no way of knowing how the antenna is designed within the back.

Actually...I also was intrigued about this and if you look at the underside of the battery cover youll see two bare metal spots. Upon closer inspection of the back of the phone there are two metal parts that stick up and connect with the back of the cover;

The first one is right next to the SIM card. The second is at the top left of the battery next to the screw. Both of these are springy and metalic. I would believe that one or both of these are connected with the antenna. I am going to try putting some paper in between these and the battery cover tomorrow(too lazy and in bed right now) and test it out.

Upvote 0
Actually...I also was intrigued about this and if you look at the underside of the battery cover youll see two bare metal spots. Upon closer inspection of the back of the phone there are two metal parts that stick up and connect with the back of the cover;

The first one is right next to the SIM card. The second is at the top left of the battery next to the screw. Both of these are springy and metalic. I would believe that one or both of these are connected with the antenna. I am going to try putting some paper in between these and the battery cover tomorrow(too lazy and in bed right now) and test it out.

it's already known that the battery cover is part of the antenna. You shouldn't block that connection for any reason. It will only make your reception worse.

Upvote 0
Yes, the signal is definitely weaker on this phone than others I've used recently (BB 8310 and a 2g iphone, neither exactly cutting edge obviously) around my house where I use the phone more than anywhere else.

I've never lost a signal completely, but I have been getting complaints about call quality that are worrying me. I talk to my GF every day at least an hour or 2 so she's a good person to judge against, and she says I cut out a lot or have my voice distort. Love the phone but if it stays like this I'm going to have to return it.

Upvote 0
Yes, the signal is definitely weaker on this phone than others I've used recently (BB 8310 and a 2g iphone, neither exactly cutting edge obviously) around my house where I use the phone more than anywhere else.

I've never lost a signal completely, but I have been getting complaints about call quality that are worrying me. I talk to my GF every day at least an hour or 2 so she's a good person to judge against, and she says I cut out a lot or have my voice distort. Love the phone but if it stays like this I'm going to have to return it.
See if turning off Noise suppression in Settings>Call Settings>Voice Call helps with the cutting out and distortion.

Upvote 0
How many of you can confirm that you can absolutely kill your signal holding your phone with one hand? Go to settings/about phone/status and hold the phone while looking at the signal strength. See if it drops down to zero at any point. I can recreate a zero reception drop every time.

Upvote 0
This is interesting. I tried Captivate phones from different AT&T Stores (Right now, tried 5 stores) and as soon as I hold the phone, the signal drops 2 bars - yes, inside an AT&T store which probably have a microcell somewhere hidden. Without holding the phone, the bars are only read as 3, except from 1 store (has 4 bars, not full). All other phones inside the stores have full bars which is I find weird.

Do you have rubber case for this phone? Maybe you could ask for a case and do a re-test. I'm planning to buy it but I want to make sure that it is the right choice. I'm hesitating because of the GPS/Compass and this.

If you do have a case, please let us know if data is still crappy.

Thanks!

I have a rubber case... the signal is still crappy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones