• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone using a Samsung Galaxy S4 active on BYOD?

I am using an unlocked att s4 active on metro pcs. Had data on inital activation. Then lost it. Called metro they had me enable data roaming. I an unsure why this helped but it did temporarly. Lost data again but also have a metro pcs s4 with them. For some reason the apns on the active showed tmobile. I changed apn to the same as my metro s4. 4g lte came right up. Haven't seemed to have any more trouble.

Upvote 0
I am using an unlocked att s4 active on metro pcs. Had data on inital activation. Then lost it. Called metro they had me enable data roaming. I an unsure why this helped but it did temporarly. Lost data again but also have a metro pcs s4 with them. For some reason the apns on the active showed tmobile. I changed apn to the same as my metro s4. 4g lte came right up. Haven't seemed to have any more trouble.

interesting, essentially the s4 active is an s4 in armor, so i found a thread made on xda users wanting to use it on tmobile to get the 3g/4g HSPA to work, so I was curious if anyone here has done any of that

Upvote 0
yup, already aware of thoses shabs, appreciate it though, my main concern is getting the full data, 3g/4g/ and LTE to work on it

I got the active for my husband. I'm jealous. Yeah it only has 8mp camera but has 2 full GB more available user memory than metro s4. I'm getting LTE data on the s4 active by a simple apn change.
And yes pretty much the phones are the same inside almost. Love them both. But active has rubber bumpers on the backing top and bottom and actual buttons instead of soft keys. Feels like a better build. Though I wouldn't say armored. It is same thickness as s4. I am getting a tough case off amazon for it. The screen seems better to me on the active. As far as getting 4g and 4g lte the active has same network capabilities as the s4 as far as all that goes. But yes LTE confirmed working and I believe on mero pcs I am using tmobile LTE. So should be doable for anyone unlocking and taking to tmobile.

Upvote 0
Since I have never posted to xda before I cannot post there now. I wanted to go to that forum and let them know that the att version of the s4 active is already completley compatible with tmobile. That is if it was unlocked correctly. I paid online@ cell unlocker .net to get my unlock code in about 4 hours. Then all I had to do to get the 4g LTE is change the apns. Wish I could share this info over there.

Upvote 0
Somehow I havn't found a post on xda I can respond to. But it's ok. I just wanted to be helpful with this info. I totally feel the s4 active is a great phone and I love metro pcs service. ShabbyPenguin I think you were apart of the rom I flashed to my very first smartphone the admire. Thanks. That was a great little phone too. At least in terms of customizing and what you could get it to do with modding.

Upvote 0
I got the active for my husband. I'm jealous. Yeah it only has 8mp camera but has 2 full GB more available user memory than metro s4. I'm getting LTE data on the s4 active by a simple apn change.
And yes pretty much the phones are the same inside almost. Love them both. But active has rubber bumpers on the backing top and bottom and actual buttons instead of soft keys. Feels like a better build. Though I wouldn't say armored. It is same thickness as s4. I am getting a tough case off amazon for it. The screen seems better to me on the active. As far as getting 4g and 4g lte the active has same network capabilities as the s4 as far as all that goes. But yes LTE confirmed working and I believe on mero pcs I am using tmobile LTE. So should be doable for anyone unlocking and taking to tmobile.

I'm probably going to get one because the only thing that comes close to it in paper aside from the s5 is the sony xperia z, and I personally think samsung makes a better product, so I'll be getting mine shortly, might also make a tutorial on how to get the 3g/4g to work on it too

Upvote 0
Since I have never posted to xda before I cannot post there now. I wanted to go to that forum and let them know that the att version of the s4 active is already completley compatible with tmobile. That is if it was unlocked correctly. I paid online@ cell unlocker .net to get my unlock code in about 4 hours. Then all I had to do to get the 4g LTE is change the apns. Wish I could share this info over there.

so your 3g/4g works without modification on metro?

Upvote 0
so your 3g/4g works without modification on metro?

I guess I cant confirm 3g. But defenitly have 4g LTE and the ONLY thing I did was unlock phone, activate with metro, and change the apn to match my metro s4. (Keep in mind this is the AT&T version) I do NOT have root and the device is stock except for the above mentioned.
The reason I chose this phone is because the network specs matched exactly the specs of my metro s4. I cant prove it and am not real knowledgeable but I feel like metro wants BYOD phones to not function quite properly so you buy a phone from them. Why else wouldn't metro change the apn for me. However I can say we had a data connection as soon as we left the store and we updated some apps on the phone. Then later I noticed no data at all. Then got it back by enabling data roaming per instructions from metro phone support. Then lost it again but have not lost 4g LTE since changing the apn to match the metro s4.

Upvote 0
I guess I cant confirm 3g. But defenitly have 4g LTE and the ONLY thing I did was unlock phone, activate with metro, and change the apn to match my metro s4. (Keep in mind this is the AT&T version) I do NOT have root and the device is stock except for the above mentioned.
The reason I chose this phone is because the network specs matched exactly the specs of my metro s4. I cant prove it and am not real knowledgeable but I feel like metro wants BYOD phones to not function quite properly so you buy a phone from them. Why else wouldn't metro change the apn for me. However I can say we had a data connection as soon as we left the store and we updated some apps on the phone. Then later I noticed no data at all. Then got it back by enabling data roaming per instructions from metro phone support. Then lost it again but have not lost 4g LTE since changing the apn to match the metro s4.

the phone is designed to pick up LTE right out of the box after unlock, I'm not sure if I can post the link or not, but if you inbox me I can provide it to you in regards to getting the 3g/4g to work on it

Upvote 0
I'm probably going to get one because the only thing that comes close to it in paper aside from the s5 is the sony xperia z, and I personally think samsung makes a better product, so I'll be getting mine shortly, might also make a tutorial on how to get the 3g/4g to work on it too

Translation plastic >Glass removable battery > non removable

Upvote 0
LOL.

im a high school dropout with a GED, i joined the army to be a combat engineer for 3 years. got out and have worked crappy low paying jobs until my daughter was born and im now a stay at home dad. come june i plan on attending a regional technical school because college just wasnt for me. gunna cash in on the GI bill and get some certificates proving what i know, thats my schooling :p

edit: how safe do you feel now using my work? ;)

Upvote 0
LOL.

im a high school dropout with a GED, i joined the army to be a combat engineer for 3 years. got out and have worked crappy low paying jobs until my daughter was born and im now a stay at home dad. come june i plan on attending a regional technical school because college just wasnt for me. gunna cash in on the GI bill and get some certificates proving what i know, thats my schooling :p

Seriously proud thank you shabby for your service also you gave me more hope to become a dev
Do I think its easy helllll no do I think its doable with help yes... I will be reading guides a crazy I think pg will help maybe candopa and so many other devs bobz skeevy so many dhacker bliss I want to be able to do what they do I want to do what you.

Reactions: Shabbypenguin
Upvote 0
LOL.

Not a damn thing there that causes Me any concern.

I feel safe trusting ya Shabbster!

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Reactions: Shabbypenguin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones