1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Is anyone using this phone on AT&T?General

1. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I'm just curious about the reception (dBm levels) vs. other phones on AT&T.

Advertisement
    :
  2. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

Here in Northeast Iowa my Electrify routinely gets a very strong signal (72 - 79 dBm) throughout the day/evening. I'm very pleased with the reception and call quality. Motorola is still top notch in that department. I can't say about Chicagoland, but I'll be there next week for a few days, and will make a post after that visit.

I did not know that AT&T has the Electrify. Maybe the Photon (which is the 4G twin to the Electrify.)
  3. colnago

Roger that...I'm a big fan of Motorola hardware, and I'm regretting buying an HTC. However At&t doesn't sell the Electrify...I saw on the Moto site that it was being sold "unlocked"/"non-carrier branded", and having both CDMA radios as well as GSM. My co-worker has the Sprint braned "Proton", however when I installed my AT&T SIM card, the GSM radios did not work. The Sprint version may be locked much like the Verizon Droid Pro(s), in that US GSM carriers are blocked, and the pre-installed Vodafone SIM only works internationally.

Android Smartphone - Motorola ELECTRIFY Superphone - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA - Tech Specs - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
  4. matt88si

matt88si Well-Known Member

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just purchase the phone from either carrier and apply it to any other carrier. It has a SIM card slot so that would allow you to use AT&T for sure.

I live in Chicagoland and the reception on the Electrify is all the hype its made up to be by Motorola. I get perfect reception anywhere I go.
  5. colnago

Some carriers are reluctant to give up unlock codes unless you either have an account with them, which I don't, or the product has been on the market for a few months.

Also, with the Verizon branded Droid Global/Pro, while both phones have SIM card slots for GSM networks and international roaming, they did not function for US based carriers, and were pre-loaded with Vodafone SIMs. I'd imagine that Sprint would also do something similar.

Either way, I'd have to pay full price for the phone, so I'd rather buy a fully GSM based phone, which is already unlocked, vs. a phone with both CDMA and GSM radios.
  6. matt88si

matt88si Well-Known Member

Well best of luck to you then. I have no idea where to even start looking for an unlocked phone. xD

All I know is that if I ever leave the country, my Electrify is getting a SIM card. n.n

Just a little extra souvenir, too. xD
  7. colnago

Thanks.

For future reference, unlocked phones can be found at these retailers:

- newegg.com
    - amazon.com
    - negrielectronics.com
    - welectronics.com
  8. elc2414

elc2414 Member

Just wondering if anyone has been able to confirm whether or not the Electrify will work on AT&T...... I currently own 2 Defys and absolutely love the phone, unfortunately it has very poor reception in fringe areas. I have been in situations where I had no service and people next to me with iPhones and other Motorola phones (all using AT&T) had full service..... I also really like the design of the Electrify / Photon enough I would buy one and retire my Defys if I could find an unlocked one to work on AT&T.....