• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is AT&T LTE Worth it?/3G+ vs LTE

Ok so I due up for a new phone on AT&T and I live in the Milwaukee area. I due a decent amount of web browsing and watch videos occasionally (but I plan on just making the switch to Android from Blackberry so I'll probably watch more). Considering AT&T LTE isn't coming for a while (I doubt Milwaukee will have LTE until at least late 2012), I'm really thinking about getting the AT&T Galaxy SII. Is LTE really an improvement over 3G+ considering I almost never download files? (Does anyone notice a significant difference when watching video/web browsing over 3G+?)

Well I'm on Verizon and LTE is worth it. I don't know what At&T's LTE will be like once it's under load, but I think it should be better that 3g+. LTE is suppose to be more efficient with lower latency. So streaming video should require less time to buffer and webpages should load up quicker. At least that's what I've experience with Verizon comparing it to their 3G (which technically is slower than at&t).

Upvote 0
Well I'm on Verizon and LTE is worth it. I don't know what At&T's LTE will be like once it's under load, but I think it should be better that 3g+. LTE is suppose to be more efficient with lower latency. So streaming video should require less time to buffer and webpages should load up quicker. At least that's what I've experience with Verizon comparing it to their 3G (which technically is slower than at&t).
Ok yeah, im still not sure how lte compares to 3g+

Upvote 0
It should be quite a bit faster. Should be. It's tough to know until AT&T actually rolls out LTE en masse and has a good amount of devices using the network. If Verizon is something to use as an example, the speeds are going to be there. The pain point for LTE still remains the sub-par battery life on the handsets.
Still am deciding whether its worth it to wait for At&t lte phones or just pick up the gs2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones