• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is autocorrect really this bad?

BBOOZE

Sep 23, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something. I'm test driving a T-Mobile G2 this week to see if I want to bail on the iPhone.

I've looked everywhere in settings and it looks like autocorrect is on but it simply NEVER works. I mean, it doesn't do anything. Sometimes it will substituted "can't" for "cant" but beyond that nothing else. Please tell me this is Froyo's best effort?

Are you talking about autocorrect when using the hardware keyboard? If so, then it's working as designed. It doesn't alter words when you type them on the physical keys, just adds punctuation.

The software keyboard will make use of autocorrect. Some alternate keyboards like SwiftKey seem to be able to offer corrections on the hardware keyboard, but I've never tried.

Upvote 0
When I use the virtual keyboard it autocorrects/suggests words just fine using the Android Keyboard when I'm text messaging or writing email. But when I do searches on the phone from the home page it doesn't do that. Actually I think I was on the Swype keyboard before trying to type the regular way and that's why it wasn't autocorrection.

Upvote 0
When I use the virtual keyboard it autocorrects/suggests words just fine using the Android Keyboard when I'm text messaging or writing email. But when I do searches on the phone from the home page it doesn't do that. Actually I think I was on the Swype keyboard before trying to type the regular way and that's why it wasn't autocorrection.

Also how it's supposed to work. It doesn't autocorrect search terms. People search for non-dictionary things all the time. It would be annoying if it was always changing the words you typed in there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones