Is autocorrect really this bad?Support

Last Updated:

1. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm test driving a T-Mobile G2 this week to see if I want to bail on the iPhone.

I've looked everywhere in settings and it looks like autocorrect is on but it simply NEVER works. I mean, it doesn't do anything. Sometimes it will substituted "can't" for "cant" but beyond that nothing else. Please tell me this is Froyo's best effort?

Advertisement
  2. Ceiling Fan

Ceiling Fan Member

If you're using the hardware keyboard I agree... the lack of a good spellcheck sucks
    But swype does a great job of giving you suggestions while you type

HSPA+ and a carrier other than AT&T should be reason enough to switch.

3. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Try downloading the htc keyboard. It uses auto correct for the hardware qwerty as it would for the soft qwerty. Google "htc ime apk"or something similar

4. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

Are you talking about autocorrect when using the hardware keyboard? If so, then it's working as designed. It doesn't alter words when you type them on the physical keys, just adds punctuation.

The software keyboard will make use of autocorrect. Some alternate keyboards like SwiftKey seem to be able to offer corrections on the hardware keyboard, but I've never tried.

5. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I use the virtual keyboard it autocorrects/suggests words just fine using the Android Keyboard when I'm text messaging or writing email. But when I do searches on the phone from the home page it doesn't do that. Actually I think I was on the Swype keyboard before trying to type the regular way and that's why it wasn't autocorrection.

6. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

Also how it's supposed to work. It doesn't autocorrect search terms. People search for non-dictionary things all the time. It would be annoying if it was always changing the words you typed in there.