is bestbuy employee lying to me?General

Last Updated:

1. Philosophre

Philosophre Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I went to bestbuy earlier today to buy a car charger. I had a 20 voucher so the charger ended up being $2. But they didnt have the plug that fit perfectly for the eris. So i was givin another one, it was more like a mini usb. RocketFish Mobile.RF-RZR55. It works. Slightly worried about the incorrect charging power, but that shouldn't damage the phone.

Advertisement
  2. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

The Eris uses a standard mini USB connector. I have no idea why it comes with a goofy squarish connector with a notch in one side. Probably to make people think they need a special cable to go with the Eris so they spend more money, but rest assured, it's just mini-USB. Any mini-USB car charger will work. I use the one from my Garmin GPS.

[​IMG]

3. rvpartsguy

rvpartsguy Well-Known Member

I use a standard mini usb from my old blackberry, bever had problem, also i use the sync cord from my blackberry....

you should be ok, just remember that in general I believe car chargers charge at a higher output so you don't want to leave it on there all the time

4. Philosophre

thanks, i am once again assured.

5. Robchaos

Robchaos Well-Known Member

Its not to make people think they need to buy an expensive charger, its a proprietary HTC design that includes extra audio outputs. You can use a regular mini USB just fine.

6. smacky

smacky Banned

I use the miniUSB charger for my USB wireless adapter, my camera, and an old Sony MD player that I no longer use. So basically I have one in my 360's USB port to charge while I'm playing, one in my desktop to charge right now when I'm on it, one in my car's USB port to charge when I'm driving, and the one by my bedside so I can check it in the morning.

Basically, I'm using tons of different minUSB cables in different places and my phone is fine. I don't think it actually controls the flow of current and that it's all standard so devices aren't fried on accident.

7. Robchaos

Robchaos Well-Known Member

I think that some car chargers actually do have an active charging system rather then passive, as in they do control the flow of current. That is why there are 3 different mini usb tips for the Igo style chargers. The difference is in tenths of a milliamp though. The HTC hero takes the highest mA rated charger tip anyways. I'd be more worried about undercharging it if you have on of those style chargers. If your using GPS or Pandora you still might be slowly losing charge.

8. EricB

EricB Well-Known Member

If anyone's worried about using a standard mini USB cable just go into a Verizon store and look at what's plugged into the Eris there. Yup, you guessed it, mini USB.

9. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Cool smacky I didn't know that. I thought they made it like that to make people think it was proprietary but not piss off the geeks ;)

10. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

Same here.. Use the one from the Garmin GPS. Works perfect

11. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Use razr and BB chargers all the time plus some five dollar car adapter that you use any usb cable and my phone works.

12. Philosophre

I feel I should just return what i got from BB and get a car adapter that has a usb connection. Less than $3.

13. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

^ Yeah, $20 for a car charger is a little insane.

14. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

My old HTC Touch Pro was the same way. It took me a long time to realize the regular mini usb would fit and it worked just fine.

15. Philosophre

16. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

There ya go. I keep a variety of cables in my car. Always the hero when someone needs a charge. Unless its a MOTO then its hit or miss depending on phone.