is Carrier IQ installed (tracking, keystrokes) on stock virgin LG?Support

1. mcflySIX

mcflySIX Active Member

So you've all heard about Carrier IQ by now. Can anyone confirm if this is on OptimusV? I read that Sprint admitted they use this on their phones so does that mean virgin also?

I saw a video....(i removed the video link, not sure if it's valid)....of an app that removes Carrier IQ from iphones or androids for a dollar but Im not even sure if our phone has Carrier IQ....what do you guys think?

Advertisement
  2. tli

tli Well-Known Member

This is getting out of hand and turning into mass hysteria... A bit of paranoia and skepticism is healthy, but please take a breather to read this:

How Carrier IQ was wrongly accused of keylogging | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

Without seeing the app, I'm speculating that it is most likely a scam. There has been no reports--that I'm aware of--of anyone finding anything on our stock OVs. If you're really that concern about it, you might be better off, in the long run, try learning how to root and use a custom ROM instead of blindly trusting and relying on some unknown app developed by some guy advertising on YouTube. Be cautious, but be rational too now. :)
  3. mcflySIX

mcflySIX Active Member

I was just reading this response from Sprint. Out of all the cell companies, Sprint seems to have the longest written response...

Sprint:
    Carrier IQ provides information that allows Sprint, and other carriers that use it, to analyze our network performance and identify where we should be improving service. We also use the data to understand device performance so we can figure out when issues are occurring. We collect enough information to understand the customer experience with devices on our network and how to address any connection problems, but we do not and cannot look at the contents of messages, photos, videos, etc., using this tool. The information collected is not sold and we don't provide a direct feed of this data to anyone outside of Sprint.

Sprint is well known for our serious commitment to respecting and protecting the privacy and security of each customer's personally identifiable information and other customer data. A key element of this involves communicating with our customers about our information privacy practices. The Sprint privacy policy makes it clear we collect information that includes how a device is functioning and how it is being used. Carrier IQ is an integral part of the Sprint service. Sprint uses Carrier IQ to help maintain our network performance.
  4. melim

melim Disabled

I absolutely believe everything Sprint (or any carrier) has to say about this...:rolleyes:
  5. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

Michael323, AndyOpie150 and melim like this.
  6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Voodoo Carrier IQ detector

7. melim

melim Disabled

^Ya I thanked agentc before I clicked through. A little out of it tonight. ;)
  8. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

Yes, it is an early alpha stage app. But if you don't know how to check for CIQ yourself, and are worried about it being on your phone it is probably better than pure speculation. And being that this whole issue with CIQ is only recently being brought to light, a fully fledged and bug free app thoroughly tested on every android device is not available.

I do know what I download.

In fact here is the full and updated description:
  9. Trip9

Trip9 Active Member

Any Cut will also allow you to determine if Carrier IQ exist on your cell. Any Cut allows the user to create a shortcut to any application, including those normally hidden. If IQRD and IQAgent are presented as options, your phone is infected [per extremetech].

My phone is clear plus Any Cut offers more function than just checking for Carrier IQ.
    agentc13 and Petrah like this.
  10. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

You and I are always going to completely disagree on issues. Best not to reply to one another during those times so we can prevent heated debates.
  11. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

Exactly. Whenever a company writes P.R. drivel such as:
    [INSERT COMPANY NAME] is well known for our serious commitment to respecting and protecting the privacy and security of each customer's personally identifiable information and other customer data. A key element of this involves communicating with our customers about our information privacy practices.
    melim likes this.
  12. melim

melim Disabled

^And Thorsten not only quoting me in full, but doing so in order to agree with and expound on my terse, snarky statement makes it officially bizarre in here.
  13. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

Bizzare, you want Bizzare? I'll give you Bizzare.................
    melim likes this.
  14. melim

melim Disabled

No, NOW it's officially bizarre! Andy made me laugh & we didn't accidentally misunderstand each other! WTH? :eek:
  15. CC58

CC58 New Member

See below video about LG Optimus S. It clearly shows Carrier IQ installed. However, when I accessed same setup menus, there is no trace of Carrier IQ on my LG Optimus V. Could be that its hidden, but my bet is Carrier IQ is not on the LG Optimus V.

Carrier IQ on the LG Optimus S (Proof Inside) - YouTube

16. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

I don't think it's there. I ran stock rooted for quite sometime before stumbling on BACKside, and I had gone through with Titanium Backup to remove all the crapware. Never saw anything like it.
  17. Michael323

Michael323 Well-Known Member

According to the app it is not running on my phone.