Is CIFSManager possible (any ROM/Kernel)?

1. akira6968

akira6968 Member

I'm trying to mount shares cuz my stuff's on a windows domain, and requires user, pass, and domain name. XBMC's built-in SMB doesn't play so nice with that (I've spent countless hours, and am quite familiar with how to appropriately name the share paths). Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

CIFS, however, is easier and more reliable. Hoping to figure out how to get it working on the Sequent! Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone know what the heck cifs.ko is or which one i need on the sequent? i'm so lost on linux lol

Advertisement
    :
  2. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

dont know about a manager but yes CIFS support can be built into the kernel. ;)
    akira6968 likes this.
  3. akira6968

akira6968 Member

I'm reading up on it, as much as i can understand, and it looks like the [android] linux kernel just doesn't come with it, but it's a module that can be added.

however, the module has to be compiled specifically for your kernel i guess? can't find a cifs.ko for the sequent :( and i sure won't be trying to make one, i scarcely understand what a kernel is lol
  4. PlayfulGod

Yea, just needs enabled in the defconfig and recompiled and the new module tossed into lib/modules. ;)
  5. akira6968

akira6968 Member

is there any way to manually get the modules and add them to system/lib/modules? I ummm....i tried throwing in the cifs.ko and md4.ko modules from an Asus TP forum....no luck. Hey, it's ICS, i thought i'd at least try lol
  6. PlayfulGod

need to be compiled with/for same kernel version and has to be enabled in the kernel for support. ;)

I will try to compile on tonight. ;)
    scary alien and akira6968 like this.
  7. PlayfulGod

akira6968 and scary alien like this.
  8. leunamez

leunamez New Member

Hi PlayfulGod!
    I've a brand new Oppo Find 5 in witch I've put a ROM ([Find5][4.2.2]ALL in 1 PAC 22.3 Nightlies [CM][PA][AOKP]) that doesn't have CIFS support.
    Can you point me the right direction to add CIFS support or is a difficult process to achieve?
    By what you have said, it must use the same kernel as my ROM, so the patch that you have made will not work or I'm get it all wrong?
    Thank you in advance! :)
  9. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Just wanted to let you guys know I've moved your thread over to the all-things-root area for you.

Cheers!

edit: LOL, I just read PG's note about this above (feel free to ping one of us using the /!\ report button and we'll get to you quicker ;) :)). Thanks!
    boricuakiller likes this.
  10. bcrichster

bcrichster Well-Known Member

Is this why my phone doesn't register on my Linux PC? I can't transfer a dang thing from my phone to PC or vice versa:what:
  11. SuperR

SuperR Well-Known Member Developer

that would be mtp. ubuntu supports mtp as of 13.04 and mint supports it as of 15.

edit: I use Samba on Ubuntu, and ES File Explorer on Android to transfer files back and forth. Wireless ;)
    bcrichster and scary alien like this.
  12. bcrichster

What do I install and HOW on Linux 14 to read my phone/mem card? I tried the installer built into my phone (connect to PC as an installer) but it kicked my butt due to lack of experience & knowledge of Linux
    I have no choice at this time but to USB connect
  13. SuperR

Well, to be honest the easiest thing would be upgrade to Mint 15 if you are currently on Mint 14. Mint 15 has MTP support out of the box. There are tutorials out there to get MTP working with lower versions of Ubuntu based distros, but I never use MTP. I can tell you this...when I connect my warp2 to Ubuntu 13.04 and Mint 15 via usb my Card and Phone pop up in Nautilus ;)
    scary alien and bcrichster like this.
  14. junkie2100

junkie2100 Well-Known Member Developer

yep same here works fine in the newest version, before that i couldnt get it to work. was forced to remove the card or use cwms ums function
    scary alien and bcrichster like this.
  15. bcrichster

I read somewhere that there were unnecessary building errors caused from mint 15... That's why I didn't install that one. ...Opinions-Facts? :confused:
  16. SuperR

I have not built anything with Mint 15, but Ubuntu 13.04 builds fine so I would be surprised if Mint is any different. It is basically just themed/customized Ubuntu.
  17. junkie2100

I use mint 15 to build... ive tested both its capacity to run a build and access mtp devices with no problems at all
    SuperR, bcrichster and scary alien like this.
  18. Seraph08

Seraph08 Well-Known Member Developer

adb

Ubuntu 13.04. Gnome3. Works over here. With all our ROMs.
  19. junkie2100

adb is also an option, thats alot of typing though lol
  20. bcrichster

OK then... I'll be upgrading to mint 15! Thanks guys :D:beer: :beer::cool:
  21. Seraph08

yes typing is typing. and i do my best typing focused on something else. Watching a video, anything to keep my eyes from the keyboard so I can feel the mistype.

And you know exactly wtf I'm talking about right now. .:smokingsomb:
  22. bcrichster

Lmao!:D Don't forget to pass :cool:
  23. Seraph08

Golden Rule is puff puff pass. And don't just assign that to smoking.
  24. akira6968

akira6968 Member

I seem to have f'd up and can't find my download of this :(
    Playfulgod, you wouldn't happen to still have a copy around would ya? It's not on your goo.im anymore :(