Is cord a Standard Micro USB? Want to order a longer one

Last Updated:

1. Hater

Hater New Member This Topic's Starter

Im assuming the answer is yes, but wanted to order a longer Micro USB cord to replace the one that came with it. Way to short and makes connecting a pain.

Just wanted to confirm a standard cord will do the job.

BTW very happy with my droid. Coming from a Windows Mobile Palm its a huge upgrade.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Standard Micro USB B to USB A

3. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

4. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

I've been told speeds will slow down the longer the cord...not sure how significant the attenuation is on USB.

5. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

Unmeasurable unless we're talking like 100 feet.

6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Member

I agree. Its way too short.

7. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Monoprice, that store is absolutely amazing.

8. build319

build319 Member

Excellent find QrafTree! I was just looking on amazon for one to run underneath the dashboard of my car and these prices beat them down big time. Thanks for sharing!

9. Derekv

Derekv Member

Careful with those links guys, those are all usb a to b, which would be useless for our phones. You need usb to micro usb.

10. build319

build319 Member

Um, I just double checked the pic and also in the title it did say micro B type.

Everything seems to check out.

11. Kappy79

Kappy79 Well-Known Member

I found a wall charger to micro usb by rocket fish with about a 6 foot cord at best buy for about 20 bucks. It works great for charging, and playing with the phone, but no data transfer.

12. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

I use a USB extender cable on my current iTouch for charging and it works well. I'll try it out with the Droid when it gets here. I got the extender cable free with a USB 2.0 flash drive.

13. hazydave

hazydave Member

A proper USB 2.0 cable can only be 5m long, maximum. Assuming it's correctly made, all modes will work properly at their intended maximum speeds. It's certainly true that really shoddy cables, or those made beyond spec length, might cause a negotiation to a slower speed... or simply fail.

Someone already beat me to recommending monoprice.com... I just ordered four Droid cables today.

This is the "micro-B" cable, and usually you want "standard-A" at the other end. Watch out... there are lots of devices out that claim to use a "micro-USB" connector, but most of these use the "micro-AB" connector, which can act either as target or host for a USB device. So my in-car Nav unit can read music and video from a USB stick, my camcorder can backup video from flash to a USB storage device, my pocket camera can speak to a printer, etc. Also, a micro-B is about the same width as a mini-B, just thinner... don't confuse them.

The micro-B connector was supposedly designed to last longer... they claim 10,000 plug/unplug cycles... though I would still treat it gently. The mini-USB connector is only rated for 500 plug/unplug cycles. You don't care about cable end so much, but it would suck if your shiny new DROID couldn't be charged reliably after a few months. Well, there's always an external battery charger option...

Curiously, there's only one "mini" connector... they're all "on-the-go" type. And there's no standard "on-the-go" connector... the specs were created after the standard versions had been speced.

14. ginigma

ginigma Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, this could be a good reason for signing up for a protection/insurance plan. I doubt a faulty USB connector will be covered after the 1 year warranty period is up.

15. Breakmyfootoff

Breakmyfootoff Active Member

I dont think I'll need the phone to last for a year with the tech race going the way it is now lol. We'll probably see something better in 6 months or less and I'll be anxious for my one year upgrade to come around.

16. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I've been using the same extender cable with the Droid and it works like a champ.

17. katahdin

katahdin Well-Known Member

I had a 12v plug with a usb receptcal (Belkin) that I used to charge my OLD palm style PDA - it seemed to work with the Droid cable. Neat - I always disliked having to have two separate cables/connectors to charge.

Does anyt=one have any issues that a regular 12v plug wouldnt work or could damage the droid.

TIa

18. hazydave

hazydave Member

I'm using a random car-to-USB adapter myself in my car. There should not be any problems. One big reason USB has emerged as the de-factor DC power connector is that they standardized the power out of these. Minimal USB jacks provide 100mA at 5Vdc nominal (minimum of 4.5V), and most provide a standard 500mA at 5Vdc (on a computer, a device negotiates with the computer to bump up from 100mA to 500mA).

Some of these power adapters go up to 1A or so, assuming the unit in question might charge faster with more current, but that's probably not necessary. The whole point of moving to USB as the standard for cellphone charging is to work with any old USB jack. The battery management is in the phone itself, not the charger.

19. katahdin

katahdin Well-Known Member

TY for reassuring me !!

20. centax1

centax1 Active Member

I got 2 6ft's for 6.99 ea and 4 3 ft's for 1.99 ea on newegg.com

21. Aquineas

Aquineas Active Member

Do you have a product link on Newegg? I prefer using them as Amazon doesn't take Paypal. Thanks!

22. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I've used my wall charger from my Motorola Q to charge the DROID...no fires. Similar amperage ratings 800mA for Q, 850mA for DROID.

23. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

looking for some clarification on what type of cord is correct for the droid.

what we need is USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male, right?

i'm not sure i understand all this talk about "micro-B". someone clue me in please?

24. ahammer

ahammer Active Member

dont know what one he is talking about

I think it is this one that I got they work great.
    Newegg.com - Nippon Labs Black 6 ft. Micro USB Cable A/Male to Micro USB Cable B/Male Model USB-6-Micro - Cables

they are 3.99 ea not 1.99 ea with free shiping for 4 at 6 foot.

also has Newegg.com - Nippon Labs Black 3 ft. Micro USB Cable A/Male to Micro USB Cable B/Male Model USB-3-Micro - Cables for the 3.49 ea 3 foot ones

this is also a good deal if you happen to pay for the always freeshiping from newegg
    Newegg.com - Link Depot 6 ft. USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Model MUSB-6 - Cables at 2.99 ea but you pay for shiping

25. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

@ahammer

but aren't your first two links different from your third?

the first two are USB A/male to Micro USB B/male.
    the third one is USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male.

or is there no difference?