• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is coverage really the deciding factor?

Kazrell

Apr 14, 2010
White Plains
The whole idea of the EVO 4G is being able to take advantage of the faster speed for internet/videos/applications etc. Looking at the intended coverage map for the next year or so it doesn't appear the 4G network will cover my home area. While the network will be in the NYC area sooner than later, I only spend 25 hours a week in the city, and when I get home I won't be able to take advantage of the EVO network. It remains to be seen how long it will take Sprint to roll out this network to other cities in the surrounding suburbian areas.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, if the device doesn't connect with the 4G network, it defaults to a 3G network? If that's the case, then switching to a device with limited usage for me personally doesn't make sense until they get up and running in more areas, which I imagine will take at least 2 years.

Do you guys have any of the same reservations?

If 4G is the only thing that interests you about this phone, then it makes sense to get something else if you won't be covered. To me, the 4G is just the cherry on top (though I do live in an area with coverage). The huge screen, dual cameras, 720p video, HDMI out, kickstand, etc etc etc... these are also great things the Evo has which other phones don't. The Evo isn't just the first 4G phone, it will also be the best 3G phone on the market when it comes out. But if there's a cheaper 3G phone that will suit you just fine, it makes sense to go with that one. Me, I'm anxious for all of Evo's capabilities :D

Upvote 0
If you don't have 4g I wouldn't say you are switching to a device with limited usage, again, it still has 3g which gives you the same performance of all other smartphones on Sprints network.

I don't have 4g in my area but all the other specs on the phone are why I want to get it. At this point and time, the 4g on the phone is not a selling point for me at all.

Oh and it does have wifi built in so you aren't always limited to 3g speeds if you can take advantage of the wifi.

Upvote 0
For me its a mix of items. I had Sprint a few years ago and was happy with the service but not the hardware offerings. My employer at the time switched its phone contract from Sprint to Verizon so with the employer discout I followed. Now my employer just got a contract back with Sprint and retaining the one with Verizon also. The Verizon discount is dropping from 18% to 10%, and the Sprint wil be 20%.

So I'm switching to a service that worked for me in the past for a significant monthly savings, best hardware availiable, and the option for the 4g network when it comes to me.

Upvote 0
"Phone" coverage is still the most important thing out there. If you just can't use your phone as a phone everywhere you tend to go, then it's a no go. That's if you're not already on Sprint and are contemplating jumping to them. Then you look at your monthly bill. If you're looking at the Incredible and have an iPhone, you're definitely spending a few hundred more a year for service and getting less for you money to boot.

Now you look at the phone. If you're in a wimax area, it's a bit of a no brainer if you're web/streaming oriented. Then you have the features of the phone itself that are mentioned in quite a few posts. Even on 3g, the phone's features still stand out.

I'm tied to Sprint, but I laugh at the people that constantly talk about switching carriers for phones. I just don't understand the mentality. These are just phones and every carrier is usually 3-6 months away from having something comparable to another carrier unless you have a drooling problem for the iphone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones