• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is dell streak too fragile?

flickz2000

Lurker
Nov 22, 2010
I am think of getting a Streak.But theses videos have changed my mind of getting a Streak.So i want to ask u all Streak users,should i get Streak.Many people are complaining that the Lower LCD screen breaks even having the streak inside the pocket.Is the screen that fragile?
Despite these i found some videos ,people stabbing their hard sharp pen in the gorilla glass with max stress and force,but leaves not even a scratch..
Is gorilla glass just scratch resistant?Has any one faced such problem ?
Guys help me decide..

,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVcqh-jCWts&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuWRB43HCE

I've always felt like the Gorilla Glass is too thin for the size of the device and the plastic side panels could be attached better. The glass screen ripples if you touch/tap it too hard. Other than that I feel like it is a solid device. When I received my first streak the boxes were completely crushed(enough to knock a open hole through both boxes) by Fedex but there wasn't a scatch on my Streak.
2010-08-18184000.jpg

Upvote 0
I've always felt like the Gorilla Glass is too thin for the size of the device and the plastic side panels could be attached better. The glass screen ripples if you touch/tap it too hard. Other than that I feel like it is a solid device. When I received my first streak the boxes were completely crushed(enough to knock a open hole through both boxes) by Fedex but there wasn't a scatch on my Streak.
2010-08-18184000.jpg

Haha at the "Caution" warning on the box, someone obviously cared... :p

Upvote 0
I have had good luck with mine so far. I had it for 3 weeks before I finally dropped it on a concrete driveway twice in just a couple of minutes from standing height and it just roughed up the plastic a little but no cracks on the screen. Then today I dropped it again onto a metal surface from a couple of feet and still no damage. I purchased mine January 12, 2011 maybe the later models have better glass???

Upvote 0
We bought 2 Dell Streak about 4 months ago. The day after, my husband was still having issues with it locking up so we were taking it back to ask - well,you guessed it - he dropped it in the driveway, it was flat upside down - and yes, it broke the screen. He was without his phone for 6 weeks as BB sent it out for service - and I was never so thankful that I purchased the insurance!

Upvote 0
I always always always drop my phones and was really nervous about getting the streak. When I purchased it a few months ago the first words out of my boyfriends mouther were "we're getting you a case" so I got the otter box for it and its great! I've dropped my phone a few times and the case has been great!! I highly recommend getting the otter box if you're going to get the streak!

Upvote 0
You guys are just Thinking a lot, My brother in USA dropped his Phone after using it for almost 6 months and he cracked the screen, then he sold it on E-Bay for $79, now its my 3rd day that i bought streak, i know its fragile but ever electronic device is, If you drop something hard it will break? Doesn't it?

Just take it has a smart phone/tablet don't think its a bullet proof limousine .

Reactions: DellStreakLuv
Upvote 0
I just orderd a dell streak 5 and was wondering how tough the screen was myself after reading this I have been considering sending it back.
But if I do keep it which are the best screen protectors and cases to get for it.
thanks

Get the Otterbox - Commuter series case. It comes with a nice screen protector. Avoid using those full coverage film protectors.

Upvote 0
I have had my Streak now since 2 days before Xmas. I don't have any screen protection, I do have one of the cheap all rubber covers that I got on eBay for about $8 and don't have a scratch on it. I have dropped it a few times, nothing serious. I carry in the inside pocket of my jacket when ridding my motorcycle or in a lower pocket in my pants.

I think if you take reasonable care of it you will be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones