• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Desire Overrated?

The Desire has the same hardware as the Nexus One, which was released in January. The Galaxy S is, what, not yet a month old? Mobile tech moves at a breakneck speed. Do the math.

Of course, the Galaxy S nevertheless has the misfortune of being housed in a nasty, cheap plastic body, whereas the Desire comes in a classy chassis and has a much better UI. Toch Wiz continues to look like it was designed with crayons.

Upvote 0
*Video Camera is sub par (slower frame rate, less true colour).
*Internal memory is woeful (what were they thinking).
*Processor rubbish (lags 3D games whereas galaxy will not).
*Multitouch bugs out (cant draw two lines at once).
*Screen size smaller.
*Screen unusable in direct sunlight (samsumg "super" ANOLED is better)
*Speaker is tinny and weak.

If you don't want the phone...don't get the phone. It's a fantastic handset, and for most users the advantages of the Galaxy S are negligable. If they are important to you...get the Galaxy. If not, go with the better looks, build quality, and user experience offered by the Desire.

And incidentally, the sunlight things isn't a problem. There's a magical solution called 'Turning around' that totally solves the issue. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I can't view those videos where I am, but I guess it's your "evidence" proving the Desire is overated?

Are you just trolling or what? If you don't want the Desire, fine. No one here will lose sleep over it, but it's starting to look like you're on some campaign to make us feel like we've all made a terrible mistake taking this phone. We haven't.

It is a superb handset which is why it regularly tops a number of smartphone reviews.

We actually HAVE the phone, unlike yourself who would rather believe youtube videos posted by people who also seem to have a point to prove.

I considered the Galaxy but dismissed it because it doesn't have a flash and, personally, I think it's too big. I've no interest in the iPhone. So, for me, the Desire was (and is) the perfect smartphone.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If you don't want the phone...don't get the phone. It's a fantastic handset, and for most users the advantages of the Galaxy S are negligable. If they are important to you...get the Galaxy. If not, go with the better looks, build quality, and user experience offered by the Desire.

And incidentally, the sunlight things isn't a problem. There's a magical solution called 'Turning around' that totally solves the issue. :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid that that someone comes into a Desire Forum and dares ask if the phone of your choice lives upto your expectations lol :D

Good thread Aussienitro, I had the same decisions to make when I got mine. Nearly went down the Samsung route but it was the brand which put me off. Lets be right about it, in 18 months when the contract runs out, who'll give a toss ;)

Upvote 0
The multitouch issue is due to the way that capacitive touchscreens detect touches through a grid of lines. Most phones have similar issues as far as I know, it just varies a bit in exactly how they show up. As demonstrated, pinch to zoom works flawlessly. What are these apps that require you to draw two arbitrary lines at once?

Upvote 0
Yes, you seem to be missing the actual phone :) .
ROFL! :D

I don't quite understand the logic of the op here. No offense, but... you read reviews after ordering the phone? Why on earth did you do that?

To repeat what others have said...
The Desire is a great phone. It's not perfect, but there's no such thing as perfect anyway, so you're chasing ghosts if that's what you're after. Compared to X, Y or Z smartphone there will inevitably be things you do or don't like about each.

Just get the best phone you can afford, with the features you want the most and be happy. :D

All the best,
Jim

Upvote 0
Ive not come across any of the issues you pointed out OP, the sunlight is a pain but get into a shaded area and change the brightness to do what you need

What he said....

....but with one exception, instead of finding a shaded area just turn your back to the sun voila instant shadow :cool: not that using the screen in sunlight is that bad, not as good as LCD granted, but it is an an excellent screen imho.

Upvote 0
Okay, i'll chip in:

I had the same choice to make when I bought my latest handset. I was offered a Desire, Galaxy S and an iPhone 4.

I rejected the iPhone because I wanted an Android handset. I don't like the way Apple have started to control the Marketplace, and tried to dismiss blatant and widespread hardware faults.

I rejected the Samsung because, well, it's made by Samsung. To clarify this piont - the handset will have to last you 18 months minimum (normally, on a contract) and they don't build phones like they used to! I have struggled to find a Samsung owner amongst my friends who hasn't ran into major problems with their handset (including the Galaxy S). These problems have ranged from the battery (on a non-smartphone) lasting around a day, the "unlock" button at the top of the phone breaking and software issues with Android and their UI.

In short i've had HTC handsets and Samsung handsets in the past and favour HTC for their support and build quality. Sure, the handset might be slightly outdated in terms of its hardware but is, in my opinion, still ahead in terms of software.

Upvote 0
Who actually did the reviews on those vids? It wasnt the gadget show by any chance :rolleyes:

So the question was; IS THE DESIRE OVERRATED?

Well the answer is in the details.......

As a phone, yes. But every smartphone I have owned (bar maybe a BB) I would rate mediocre as a telephony device.

As a MID (Mobile Internet Device) NO. It blows most/all the competition out of the water. You can compare it with the iPhone, you can compare it with the Galaxy IF you really want, but you will always get a biased comparison.

Fanbois will always state that their tech is far superior, even flying in the face of the bleeding obvious, but whilst the Desire might not be the greatest at everything, it is better at most things than any other comparable phone out there at this moment in time!

I reckon most people will still be using this phone in a few years (after contract) whereas most Galaxy and iPhone users will have had to upgrade to keep en-vogue :cool:

Upvote 0
so how about sharing your thoughts with the OP and actually adding some value to this thread.

What? Just duplicate what had already been said?

I added the only additional thing worth mentioning and that was the reason I avoided the Samsung. That was my personal thought and "value adding" input!

My dig was born out of the unnecessary tone I felt that some guys had taken with the OP.

Don't you just love having to explain yourself.................:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Of course, the Galaxy S nevertheless has the misfortune of being housed in a nasty, cheap plastic body, whereas the Desire comes in a classy chassis and has a much better UI. Toch Wiz continues to look like it was designed with crayons.

I would agree with this exactly having played with a Galaxy at the weekend. The Desire is much better built.

The best thing to do is have a few minutes playing with each phone and decide which is more suitable for you.

Upvote 0
What? Just duplicate what had already been said?

I added the only additional thing worth mentioning and that was the reason I avoided the Samsung. That was my personal thought and "value adding" input!

My dig was born out of the unnecessary tone I felt that some guys had taken with the OP.

Don't you just love having to explain yourself.................:rolleyes:

ah, no useful input. thanks for that.

Upvote 0
hahaha - I wonder how many HERO owners thought the same when they bought the latest and greatest phone 9 months ago!
Funnily enough, based on reviews I opted for a Hero in February this year. I persevered with the laggy performance from the underpowered CPU and lack of an official 2.1 upgrade, but got sick of poor reception and asked 3UK to replace it with a Desire. What a difference!

Upvote 0
Ummm wow!

The OP was a troll, he's not been back recently so he's had his fun. Loser.

5 hours = not recently? Im no troll. No I dont sit here pressing refresh if thats what you mean.

Thankyou to the more level headed posters. I asked why it was topping the charts that is all, expecting people to give me some reasons why, because it isn't obvious from what demonstrations I have seen. For example actual usability CAN NOT be demonstrated in a video while the "faults" I gave are easily demonstrated. Usability is where I gathered the desire must shine over galaxy and freedom sets it apart from iphone. Also Ruggedness is definately something that I require.

Another problem I've seen (specific to Australia) is that the GPS doesn't work due to software error. Does anyone know if thats been cleared up yet without screwing around with downloads and whatnot?

Where I am I cannot go into a shop and test for myself, really not an option.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you're trying to convince YOURSELF not to get the phone.

If you feel it has issues (based on youtube videos) and think there are better handsets out there the solution is simple. Get one of them.

As someone who got the Desire having previously used an iPhone 3GS I got to say the Desire is an awesome phone that makes iPhones appear like the complete over hyped media rubbish that it is.

Samsung? Well not really an issue for me as Vodafone don't see the need to stock Android phones.

I'd say you have pretty much answered your own question though.

Why is it topping the charts? Because it's a dam good phone.

Upvote 0
Desire is better for mobile phone and web browser with customizing..
games are better played in high definition and big screens..I have PS3 and a nice PC setup for playing games..once you play there you wont really want to go back to small screen gaming..so games on a mobile is big turn off in my opinion..and my desire it fits into mobile phone with GPS, PC file sharing and Short term browsing opitons perfectly for me..and for the comparison i did check with iphone 4..nothing else..but i choose desire for my first smartphone..and yeah i still feel smart on that..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones