• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is doing this step really necessary?

Vegamo

Lurker
Nov 21, 2010
Hi, im running CM6 RC2 on Mytouch Slide, I partitioned the SD using Rom manager into 32-512 format (8 GB SD card)/

However, Im thinking about replacing Clockwork Recovery with Amon Ra's latest Recovery So I can have access to the EX2 To EX3 and EX3 to EX4 cache thing.

Now just to let you know, Im not really that tech savy, I don't really know what that does but I think it's supposed to make your phone run faster?

Can anyone please help me and explain if this is necessary? What does the EXT2 To EXT3 do? Will it improve my performance?

Any Help would greatly be appreciated.

Whenever you have one of those partitions, it basically tricks android into treating it as phone memory.

Ext is the filesystem used by the partition.

It has potential to speed up how fast your phone loads apps, but that would entail you buying a class 6 or higher sd card, which can be expensive. But it may be worth it if you would like that kind of thing.

Here's a link to a 8gb class 6 card here.

Upvote 0
Whenever you have one of those partitions, it basically tricks android into treating it as phone memory.

Ext is the filesystem used by the partition.

It has potential to speed up how fast your phone loads apps, but that would entail you buying a class 6 or higher sd card, which can be expensive. But it may be worth it if you would like that kind of thing.

Here's a link to a 8gb class 6 card here.

thank you but how do I know what class SD card I have? (mine came with the phone)

my whole point of all this is to have more internal phone memory, do you know how i can have more? mines now is at 88mb (after lots of apps of course, most moved to SD)

Upvote 0
Hmm... I'm not completely sure, but I *think* there is a way to make the ext2 partition as big or small as you want, but it had to do something with AMON_RA, if that's the right name.

You can tell the class of your SD card by, well, looking at it. The one that came with the slide is a class 2 card, and most SD cards will have the class of it on the card itself somewhere.

If you REALLY want a good speed increase, be prepared to shell out the big bucks for a class 10 card, but a class 6 is just fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones