• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is "Droid" a series of phones?

johninbigd

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009
I'm hearing now that "Droid" is Verizon's name for series of Android phones, one of which is the Droid. Another, the Droid Eris, appears to be the HTC Desire, which everyone seems to think is the Verizon version of the Hero.

HTC Eris (Droid Eris, Desire) - gdgt

This is all so confusing! If the Eris has better specs than the Hero then I want to know about it because I might want to get that instead of the Droid, which I think is pretty ugly. The Hero is beautiful, but slow compared to the Droid.

I wonder why we have so much information about the Droid but we have a hard time finding anything out about the Eris, which allegedly will be released on the same day. Weird.

I'm sorry, I was thinking the Eris was the other Moto Android phone coming to VZ...I'm sure the Eris will be a decent phone, but with no keyboard (which I want)...

I think the reason you don't see as much info on the Eris is because the Droid will be the "flagship" phone for now. It is getting it's own press conference, being hyped by VZ, etc. Only makes sense that more people would be looking for more information for this phone than any other...

Upvote 0
From everything I've read, yes, DROID is going to be a series of phones that Verizon is going to release with Android as the OS. The Eris is the same thing as the Desire that we've been hearing about almost as long as we've heard rumors about the Sholes/Tao/Droid, and from all rumors (at least from what I've read and understand) it's basically going to be the Hero for VZW.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones