Is everyone using ROM manager now?

Last Updated:

1. King_Bean

King_Bean Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From reading various posts, I feel like I'm one of the few that's not. I'm still flashing ROMs manually with SPRecovery update.zips and nandroid backups but I'm seriously thinking about using Koush's ROM manager. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Is it stable?

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I can't answer for everyone but when on the road I use ROM Manager mainly to get the latest version of Clockwork Recovery (I use scripts to go back and forth between Clockwork and SP). I also find ROM Manager handy when I want to do a quick system backup. When at home it stick with the tried and true manual methods.

3. yufice

yufice Well-Known Member

I honestly can't get it to work, so i do it the "hard" way with SPRecovery.

4. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member

I WAS using ROM Manager, but Cyanogenmod does not play nice with my phone for some reason. Very laggy, terrible battery life...

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I don't get what you guys are still using SPR for. I can't find a use for it anymore; ROM developers that used to package new releases as SPR-only Nandroids are now releasing them as update.zip (Pete does this now, I know) so they can be used on both recoveries. Not to mention ClockworkMod is prettier and easier to use, especially when you have the ROM Manager interface for simpler tasks, and ClockworkMod gets updated on a faster-than-DroidMod schedule.

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

How doesn't it work for you?

7. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Yo Sir Psycho, I'm really happy for you, Im'a let you finish, but Koush had one of the best Recovery's of all time!

EdgeSetter and bamaredwingsfan like this.
  8. King_Bean

King_Bean Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ah, yes. One of my primary concerns with using ROM manager was flashing a new recovery. I'm so accustomed to SPRecovery and the sense of comfort that comes along with creating nandroid backups before flashing. Does

By the way, what benefit do you get from jumping back and forth between Clockwork and SP? Is there something that SP does that Clockwork doesn't? Also, what scripts are you running to jump back and forth between Clockwork and SP? Are you using Terminal Emulator to run said scripts? Do I need to be running a certain ROM to run them? Sorry for inundating you with questions.

9. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

It's a quicker way to flash ROMs. And if you have the premium version you'll have more options. I haven't really used it in a bit, but there haven't been a whole lot of ROM action going on lately. There's a lot of potential for growth w/ this app, as well. I can see people customizing their ROMs and themes to work w/ this app (more so than already).

10. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member

I love rom manager. Its fast and super easy to use esp if you aren't by a comp but want to flash a new rom. Its also super self explantory and let's you backup and wipe with a check box before you flash so there's no probs. I have the premium version of course.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member

I have NO interest in using rom manager. Why would I want to spend money on some programs that makes changing ROMS faster and easier? I have no issues with the "hard" way. Personally I like doing my own backups. I enjoy flashing ROMS myself. I don't think there is anything wrong with the manager, its just not for me.

12. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I still use the "old" method, though I do have ROM manager...

13. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you can use the free version you just dont quite get all the benefits

14. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member

"Free" version says I need another app when I searched for that app it was a paid app. So to me that's not a FREE version. But like I said I currently have no interest in using such an app. I have more than enough apps on my Droid as is.

15. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Come to think of it is is very rare that I go back to SP. About a week ago I was having a bizarre problem where Clockwork was not restoring properly (one of the days where Koush was releasing new versions every 10 minutes) and SP got the job done).

As for scripts, I use GScript Lite (free in the market) which allows to me set up homescreen shortcuts to frequently used scripts. To flash my recovery:

For SP Recovery:
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img
    reboot recovery

For Clockwork:
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/what_ever_yourclockwork_is_called.img
    reboot recovery

As for ROM Manager, it is great when I get bored in traffic (happens all the time in South Florida) and I want to flash something or backup a ROM fast and dirty while driving (not, I don't take my eyes off the road while moving).

16. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

You don't need another app with the unpaid version... the only thing missing in the free version is the ability to flash non CM roms and the check for updates feature...

I understand that you have no use for it, but someone else wanting to try it out might see your post and steer away from it because of that statement which was false.

17. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

I use ROM manager because it is so simple. I usually do my ROM flashing in class haha.

18. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

ROM Manager makes things simple.
    The people that aren't using it now will be soon I'm sure.

19. snowman9031

snowman9031 Well-Known Member

I use it when in a pinch and it keeps me up to date. When I am at computer i will download here. I used spr. but now use rom man. and it is pretty easy.

20. ne0lyfeism

ne0lyfeism Well-Known Member

I don't use it - namely because I'm more of a hands on kind of guy. I like to know how things work and how to do things for myself.

ROM Manager is definitely helpful to those who aren't as savvy with using adb/command line functions and prefer a more simple GUI approach.

21. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

rom manager just makes things soooo much easier. you don't even have to use the premium version. i just use the free. i don't need it to download roms for me, i can do that myself. what i HATE to do, however, is having to rename every single zip file that i want to use, into "update.zip". super annoying when i'm trying to flash multiple zips, such as BBv09, then smoked glass theme, then kernel. with rom manager, you no longer need to rename anything. just dump all your zips into a folder and you can pick and choose which roms you want. no renaming necessary.

22. Titaniac

Titaniac Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried A4D Mobile Utility? I was curious if it was a viable alternative for Rom Manager. I was going to try it, but it wanted to install its own alternate recovery over Clockwork. Therefore, I'm not sure if they (Rom Manager and A4D) can co-exist.

I do like how A4D seemingly has more roms, but again, not sure of how well it works.

23. jr313

jr313 Well-Known Member

Ive been using rommanager since it first came out and havent even for a second thought about going back to sprecovery...like a lot of ppl have said its quick and easy to use...

24. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

Well...this thread has convinced me to try Rom Manager, although I really love SPR, probably just because its what i'm use to and comfortable with.

Now i just need a ROM to try! We can flash any ROM with Rom Manager right? I've read that there is a list of ROMs you can flash already available with RM like Cyanogen, but can I flash an Adamz rom or NexTheme as well?

TIA!!

25. Titaniac

Titaniac Well-Known Member

Yep, you can DL them and use Rom Manager to install them from the SD Card. Rom Manager is really good. I still want to try other options like A4D if anyone can tell me if it's even worth it.

SoDroid likes this.